Originally posted by ssmumich00:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
The BIG problem is the inner tripod shaft is the one that breaks.

They need that made from 4340 or better.

Making the outer out of it does not fix the problem. Why are not both made from it if it's a "Stage 2"

Making the outer piece from 4340 does nothing by itself!

So, they apparently use an oversized inner tripod? Does that even help?
I know of only BurritaSVT destroying these, but once again, that goes back to the shock coefficient Stazi was mentioning. .
sounds like no one could put slicks with 400+hp without destroying these axles.

The Stage 2 has THE SAME inner tripod that the Stage 1 has.
ONLY the outer is made from 4340 steel.

Why that cheaped out is beyond me but even still they chose the wrong one to make from 4340 because the inner is the weaker link!

Yes the oversized tripods and larger corresponding CV joint help eliminate that as the weakest link.
The first axle I damaged was an OEM and the inner CV was what failed.
The HD (Stage 1) axle failed at the inner spline while the larger CV's withstood the beatings. (many more beatings on street tires before the 3 drag radial runs)

Without replacing the entire tripod with one made from a stronger material the inner tripod will always be the weakest link.

You are correct that Stage 2 axles are a complete rip off and offer no gain in launching ability.
Even Stage 1 axles are a rip off because you can buy the exact same thing from GCK for $120 each (retail) with a lifetime warranty vs ~$400 a set with a "limited" 6mos rebuild warranty.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.