Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
A
Greg, any way of getting much-much bigger picture from you? I want to show it to someone, see what the expert's opinion is. Someone I know had done a great deal of research on the subject. In a nutshell the treatment produced a softer core and harder shell. That way the axle was always under internal stress and if it ever broke it would literally explode. On the upside it was handling the load which would otherwise require a substantially bigger axle. This was not for a car, but something bigger

D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I believe Greg, because he's a blunt straight forward guy, BUT, with that said, I am just baffled at the .5 reduction in ET, but no improvement in MPH. I know Greg will prove my nay saying....

Best run to best run I actually improved nearly 1 mph from last spring.

Also the bulk of my time was made by half track. From half track on I was only a tenth or so quicker.

I was 75lbs lighter and I also hooked up in first and second.

It just goes to show you that my trap speed was maxed based on HP to weight because of all the traction issues in 1st and 2nd.
I didn't spin once in second this time out. A good indication of that is the 2nd run's 2.18 60' time but 9.0 1/8 @ 80.8 vs last spring's 2.17 60' time but only 9.17 1/8 and slightly faster 81.4x mph. Though the second run's mph could be slightly lower from the rear tire??? With the same 60' time it shows the car was much "quicker" from 60' to 660' even with the poor launch and messy 1-2 shift.
The extra spark tuning I did over the summer obviously added some mid range torque.

I made more ground right at the start which directly equals quicker ET and less time spinning the tires which can inflate trap speeds.

Last spring my quickest run (13.94) only trapped 101.1 but my fastest trap came on a run a couple tenths slower. The majority of my runs I trapped in the 100.5 - 101 range.
My previous 1/8 mile numbers were 80.5 to even a 81.8 mph. The higher the mph the slower the launch and 330' times were too. Less ground covered early so more time to accelerate to speed.

To plot the new & old best runs against each other.

New up by .13 to 60'
New up by .30 to 330' (65% of the gain from launch through the 2-3 shift!)
New up by .38 to 660'
New up by .43 to 1000'
New up by .47 to 1320'

That's 1 tenth gained on the top end showing that the bulk of my ET gain was mainly traction and being a chunk lighter in weight.

Even the extra trap speed gain was pretty much all done in the first 660' with nearly a direct carry over to the end. Considering past half track is all HP to weight verses drag it's not surprising I only picked up about another .2 mph verses my previous numbers when compared to the first 660'.

Who knows? Maybe I picked up the nail before the staging lanes before run 1 and I would have trapped 103mph??? I only checked my air pressure waiting in the tech line. Okay 103's not likely but still...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i think it may be a defect in the shaft that broke like that. The last time i went to the track i broke both axles, this was last spring. The shaft on the driver's side broke of exactly like that, as a matter of fact i saved the piece that broke of. It is in my garage right now. The reason i say it may be a defect is beacause all i have as far as "power" mods go is an intake, crappy 2.25 borla exhaust and a lightened flywheel. I do have a different clutch and Torsen also. Who knows?

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Cryo treating will not change the morphology of a Quench and Tempered axle shaft - so no it won't do squat for it.

Secondly, that failure is NOT a defect. I could whip out a copy of my spline shear stress calculation to show you that the stress concentration at the root of a spline tooth is extremely high (due to the high "k" factor that splines hve on stress calcs), and that ANY car could break those axles - maybe not the first time, but the cumulative fatiguing of the shaft at the spline root would eventually snap it like that. That break that Demon posted pictures of is a text-book example of a shaft fracture at a spline transition.

Like I said the only way to beat this phenomenon is as follows:
1) Larger spline diameter (not possible in this application)
2) Better spline root to relief transition (i.e. smoothing of the spline root) - expensive
3) Better quenching with a polymer instead of water to increase toughness and improve grain structure
4) Use of a 41xx series steel with higher concentration of chrome and molybdenum - also expensive for a production car with a common driveshaft across all V6 MTX lines.
5) Reduce shock loading

You need to remember (or learn if you're not an engineer) the effect of impulse/aka shock loading. i.e. Applying 100ftlb of torque to a shaft over 1 sec is 10x less damaging than applying it over 0.1sec (i.e. like in a launch at high rpm's)

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
hmmm...i wonder if the steel between the stage 1 and stage 2 axles are any different?

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
so demon, how much horsepower is your car making? I'm very curious...

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

Let's just say, since he removed the restrictor plate, the car's not quite street legal.

I'd like to thank Will Ferrell for that little bit of humor.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
now if only greg had a red csvt we could call it the 'red dragon'.

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

Let's just say, since he removed the restrictor plate, the car's not quite street legal.

I'd like to thank Will Ferrell for that little bit of humor.

Mark

Ryan Trollin!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
HAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! That'd be F'n hilarious!

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Here's the scripture off of SPMotorsports site for the drive axles...

STAGE 1
1117 billet inner housing with oversized Tripod, 4130 chrome-moly induction hardened bar, 1117 billet outer C.V. induction hardened, Thermoplastic Elastomer Duraboot spline plug inner C.V. design. Stage 1 NOT recommend for drag racing.

STAGE 2
1117 billet inner housing oversized tripod, race-proven chrome-moly 4340 torsional center, 4340 c-m outer C.V. induction hardened, Thermoplastic Elastomer Duraboot spline plug inner C.V. design.

Just thought i'd try and help out.

Robert

2000 Ford Contour SVT-t GT28R - 287whp/314wtq @ 11 psi (very little tuning) Cardomain Page Photobucket Page *Formally XxColdAzFireXx*
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard