Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1101754 11/11/04 01:48 PM
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Is this the way liberals are looking at this election..
"We did not win but with the cabinet gone we did not lose either. Which means we won! Just like in 2000. So essentially, we have controlled the white house for the last 12 years, except for the last 4 years "W"s face was there. This can only be proof that the American public heartily endorses our liberal adgenda"

I don't know about all that, but it certainly does appear that Bush is the talking head - or the pawn if you want to get melodramatic - for the people who now appear to be leaving en masse. That raises an eyebrow for me.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
#1101755 11/11/04 03:39 PM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
So Georgie's cabinet was appointed by Liberals now?
Let me see if I can help you a little. Myself as a concerned American citizen wants to know why the people who have been running our country for the last 4 years now suddenly want out. One, two maybe three people leaving I would say ok but if all these people leave it looks like a vote of no confidence. The question is legitimate no matter what side of the aisle you stand on.
Dan, if you want to start a Conservative vs Liberal pissing match go start your own thread.

There are 21 cabinet positions, of them, two have resigned (AG and CS), and three others are rumored to be considering a move. Of the three others, two of them are directly related to wartime/terrorism, those being Rumsfeld (SD) and Powell (SS). While morals seemed to have gotten Bush reelected, the polls also show that Iraq is the number one issue on people's minds, so to me it makes perfect sense to consider a change of leadership for the key positions surrounding the terrorism and wartime issues in order to at least create the perception, if not the reality, of new direction.

Best Regards, HitchHiker 05 Altima SE-R - smoke, 6-spd - Fujita CAI Best stock times: 1/4: 14.366 @ 98.99MPH - 2.366 60 ft 1/8: 9.373 @ 79.84MPH - 2.366 60 ft
#1101756 11/11/04 04:05 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Powell is by far the largest asset they have, I would be wounded if he stepped down

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1101757 11/11/04 04:30 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
well it looks to me that bush might be making a move to bring his admin a little closer to center. getting rid of a$$croft and dumbsfeld is a start.

having stuck to the chastity belt toting, bible thumping, terrorist rebuking, tax cutting ways of the right wing conservatives helped bush to keep his seat, but i think the solid division of voters spoke volumes. it's obvious that come 2008, far right conservatism won't appeal to the voting masses since terrorism will hopefully not be as big of an issue.

'03 Saab 9-5 Aero
#1101758 11/11/04 05:08 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Swazo:
Powell is by far the largest asset they have, I would be wounded if he stepped down

In your opinion does Powell have political aspirations for 2008 - and if he does, is he better served by distancing himself from Bush or maintaining a position in cabinet?

#1101759 11/11/04 05:36 PM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by Mysti-ken:
In your opinion does Powell have political aspirations for 2008 - and if he does, is he better served by distancing himself from Bush or maintaining a position in cabinet?

That's hard to tell. Bush's popularity was proved with this current election. Certain Senators-elect from South Dakota, North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia would agree. But if some kind of scandal breaks (as has happened in the second terms of the last three two-term presidents) or Iraq isn't resolved (God help us if it isn't), then every Republican is going to be running from him, much like the Dems were running from Clinton in 2000.

#1101760 11/11/04 05:56 PM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Davo:
But if some kind of scandal breaks (as has happened in the second terms of the last three two-term presidents) or Iraq isn't resolved (God help us if it isn't), then every Republican is going to be running from him, much like the Dems were running from Clinton in 2000.

The reason I ask is that during the campaign Powell seemed to be noticeably absent from the news - but then again, that might have been the nature of the campaign coverage up here.

#1101761 11/11/04 10:47 PM
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by BP:
well it looks to me that bush might be making a move to bring his admin a little closer to center. getting rid of a$$croft and dumbsfeld is a start.

having stuck to the chastity belt toting, bible thumping, terrorist rebuking, tax cutting ways of the right wing conservatives helped bush to keep his seat, but i think the solid division of voters spoke volumes. it's obvious that come 2008, far right conservatism won't appeal to the voting masses since terrorism will hopefully not be as big of an issue.

I would much rather be what you described than a no moral, anti-religion, terroist coddling, tax raising, tree hugging, PETA worshiping, liberal. I just pray to God that people will see through Hillary if, heaven help us, she runs for office.

"Moore has also accused the American people of being the stupidest, most naive people on the face of the Earth. And after last weekend, he's got the box office numbers to prove it!"
#1101762 11/11/04 11:09 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Mysti-ken:
Originally posted by Swazo:

I would like to see him run for office, and he is someone I would vote for considering his past stances on issues.

What hurt him was going to the UN with fabrications of WMD, which turned out to be total BS. He lost face in the international community IMO, but only to an extent. The blame on that one should fall apon the VP, and I think most of the world knows that. If you look at what his stance was before the 9/11 attacks and after about invading Iraq, you'll see he was not in favor of doing so. Considering his background, I can accept that. He is also a military man, and he can follow orders as well as give them.

I'd like to see Rummy get the boot, and Powell remain where he's at. I think he adds a lot of strength to President Bush's cabinet, so I would like to see him continue being the voice of reason within it.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
#1101763 11/11/04 11:21 PM
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
The question is legitimate no matter what side of the aisle you stand on.
Dan, if you want to start a Conservative vs Liberal pissing match go start your own thread.

The question is SILLY no matter what side of the isle you are on. You have an ailing Ashcroft who has been ready to quit for over a year, the sec of commerce - a CLOSE Bush friend leaving (no confidence..from the commerce dept??). You have Powell (rumors ONLY) who was pulled from RETIREMENT, has no political aspirations and is working his ass off..this guy DESERVES to leave if he chooses. Rumsfeld WANTS to stay and probably will, and RICE who has only said she wants someday to GET BACK to ACADEMIA. Has anyone actually expressed no confidence in Bush now that election is over..or is this simply an Al Franken talking point?

The REPUBLICAN ship sinking??? The same Republicans who just won the presidential race with gains in nearly all demographic by the widest margin since 1988, the republican house gaining 10 seats, the republican senate gaining 5 and throwing out a democrat minority leader for the first time in 50 years. I think it a bit premature to start bailing water just yet.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard