Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
Originally posted by TronX:
Mine is always out of wack. I get like 250 ~ 285 at best from full to empty. I've changed everything I can think of other than the coil. So when I hear of people getting 300+ it make me sick to think there has got to be something I've missed.

I really don't think the contour or mystique get good gas miles without some tweaks.

Damn brutha, that's about 16-20mpg. Do you have a cel? I'm not going to say anything on this post, b/c im getting pretty damn good mileage on mine, but I do drive almost all highway. I do about 65 miles/day, and 5 miles are probably city.

And about the tweaks, my car shows that you're correct. When I got her at 35k, she was doing 26mpg/highway. After intake and SVT exhausts (no resonator), now at 52k, I'm doing about 31/32mpg, mind you on an ATX.

Only one code P1381 and that is the VCT.

I use to fill up once a week and for the last few years it's been more like ever 4 or 5 days now.

There is a noise that I can hear when the car gets hot. Sounds like a pin whole sized air leak, but I can't find it. Do you think this would cause anything? I'd think there would be a new code if my car was really that far off.

I've got my own code scanner and I can't tell if the car drives any better or worse when the VCT code is removed. It normally takes about 2 hours of driving before the codes sets off. My guess is that the VCT can't adjust enough oil pressure to regulate and adjust the cams when the engine is fully hot. I'm sure the leak does not help either. Now that I think about it the VCT started going off one day when the car ran over big bump in the road and the bottom of the car slammed really hard into the road.

Hmmm.. maybe the bump cause a crack in the exhaust or header? But would this effect the VCT because it can't adjust enough to match the leak? Or are they not even related.

I've got many questions as you can see.

Does the VCT code cause the car to use more gas?