Originally posted by sigma:
...Romans 1:26 was written by Paul -- you and your Church undoubtedly ignores almost every command that Paul gave. Have you ever worn a hat? That's a sin according to Paul. Do your women speak in Church? Paul called that a sin too. Why do you pick and choose which verses you want to follow and which you don't?

Paul also doesn't proclaim that homosexuality was a sin -- but that being "unnatural" and "lustful" were the sins. If one is born homosexual (argument of course) the sin is denying what oneself is and pretending to be heterosexual in direct opposition to the way that God made you. That is the sin.

And Corinthians 6:9? A perfect example of how translation can skew meanings. The translation you probably read explicitly says "homosexual" and "abusers of mankind".

Originally Paul used a word that means "soft" not "homosexual" or "effeminate" -- it's common usage was for a person born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Jews like Paul do not look kindly upon those who did not work for what they have.

And Paul's original Greek wording was not "abusers of mankind" but "abusers of young boys" -- Child Molestation.

It's amazing how two people can read something entirely different. That's not downing the Bible in any way. That is the hallmark of a great piece of literature upon which to base a country or relgion. Our own Constitution is exactly the same way.

Bingo.

Paul is notoriously hard to decipher. His sermons to the Church of Corinth mainly pointed out the decadence and sin that Roman "orgy religions" took part in and blasted them for their OVERALL lifestyles.

The fact that many rip homosexuality from the texts and try to stand a biblically-supported moral argument against it is little different than some taking passages in the Old and New Testament to prop up slavery, an institution that was morally acceptable and practiced in Biblical times.

Fixating on single passages to the exception of the entire message being taught and the overall tone and message behind Christianity holds a fair amount of concern to me.

The Bible (IMHO) is FAR fom clear on homosexuality...

As it stands today, religiously, I'm torn on the morality of the practice. I've heard compelling arguments on both sides and haven't been able to bridge the two in my own mind.

As a citizen concerned about the welfare of fellow Americans and aware of the reasons why the seperation of church and state were established under the US Constitution, I fully support equal rights under law for homosexuals. Why? Because it's rampant discrimination to do otherwise.

I'll fight against "gay marraige" tooth and nail, but I fully support "civil unions" and would fight tooth and nail for them.

There is a middle-ground here, folks. It's just painfully obvious that the bulk of both sides are not currently capable or willing to try and reach for it.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe