Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Gay marriage has nothing to do with polygamy but something to do with polygamists getting married. It will open a door to them (and possibly other weird things).

Ok, you've brought this up in nearly EVERY REPLY TO THIS THREAD!

Can you prove to me in one other instance where extending CIVIL RIGHTS to a minority has lead to other "wierd things"

Let me provide you with a few examples of the courts providing Civil Rights to Minorities. See if you can find one instance!

1840s - Movevement for Women to Vote is started, 19th Amendment in 1920 protects their right.

1915 - Restrictive voting laws that were enacted by state governments were declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court

1954 - Supreme Court unanimously agreeing that segregation in public schools is unconstitutional (Brown vs. BOE)

1965 - Congress passed the Voting Rights Act, provided additional voter protection (especially blacks)

1967 - A Virginia law against interracial marriages was struck down, with the Supreme Court declaring that marriage is a "fundamental civil right" and that decisions in this arena are not those with which the State can interfere unless they have good cause.

1970 - 26th Amendment Ratified to allow people 18 and older to vote

In this BRIEF timeline regarding Civil Rights, we see one common tie. Historically the Supreme Court has UPHELD Civil Rights when a majority is against it. I can only hope that this will continue. It is truly one of the fundamental strenghts of the United States.

- Zack WANTED: T-Red HEATED Side Mirrors FOR SALE: 4 14" Alum Alloys and Nearly New Avid H4s Tires w/ Center Caps 2000 T-Red SVT 1995 LX V6 MTX (RIP)