The bible is not just about the life of christ, it starts from the beginning of man (so long as you beleive in creation). And in that beginning, it was god that said that Adam should take Eve, a woman, as his wife. From then on, it was a bond between a man and a woman, instituted by god; the same god that condemns homosexuality.

Laws of countries and customs of all types of cultures are based on that first marriage.

Now if you don't beleive in the bible and creation, well then do what you want. But marriage, as defined by laws, is based on this religious ceremony from the bible's account of creation. There-in lies the problem.

This is a problem because of failure to seperate church and state when this country was founded. Unfortunately for the homosexuals, this country was founded on christian values which are based on the bible. But at the same time, this country prides itself in being fair and equal to all. Its a problem, but not my position to address it.

I do have a view though, and being christian, I don't want to see homosexuals be called "husband and husband" or whatever. Union, fine, whatever, but dont' be calling it marriage because it is against everything marriage has been defined as.