Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
I love how people that are for gay marriage love to preach respect for people's opinions, and accepting people for who they are....

But when someone has an opinion different from them, no matter if its based on faith, morals, whatever, those people are wrong and they are bigots and haters for having that opionion.

The true hypocrites are those that can't accept the fact that some (and by the votes, a majority) people think that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

I'm pretty sure no one here has claimed that those who believe as you do about heterosexual marriage are bigots and haters because of it.

But there could be a consititutional case made to that affect, if you try to deny gays their civil rights, on the basis of their sexual orientation.

And I also believe that one could successfully argue that a civil right is not a matter to be decided by popular vote.

If it was, the majority could potentially be dictating with impunity how virtually every minority should live; and those minorities would be without recourse.

It is in the very nature of civil rights that they should not be determined by the vagaries of the vote. How many amendments in the bill of rights were enacted for exaclty this reason. Most of them were relatively unpopular in their time, and it was difficult; but ultimately they have all proven to be the right thing to do.

I believe that gay marriage is being viewed today in much the same way that interracial marriages once were; and that the road to acceptance will be similarily difficult and just as inevitable.