Quote:
Originally posted by GoodwinToo:
What about acrylic? Anyone know the temp ranges on that? It would be easy to form bends with(spray down the inside with WD40 and then fill(i mean PACK) with sand before heating and bending so the radii dont get crushed... only thing is how temp resistant is it??
Question ... what are those phenolic spacers I always see for intakes made out of??

your idea about acryilic is a good one, but acrylic is not resistant to petroleom products, it sufferes from whats called crazing, and with strong solvents or extended exposure to petroleums will start to disolve. I believe its heat resistance is also low. I remember forming acrylics is school in an oven at 180 degrees.

Phelolic spacers are made out of exactly that, a fiberous material usually fibergalss or polyesther impregnated with phenolic resin and cured under pressure to clamp the lay-up together. You are right about machining it though, it is easy, and takes well to most adhesives.

I don't see whay we don't look into making a prototype out of a hard wood like maple or oak, its common, inexpensive, easy to machine, has a low conductivity, can be bonded easily and so on. The only problem is that wood is fiberous and needs to be sealed to prevent water infiltration and air passing through it, but that should be able to be fixed by sealing it with a sealing paint like KILZ

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412