Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TimFoo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My radio got stolen last weekend and they took the little piece of black plastic dash trim which goes around the radio+heater controls.

Unfortunately, this piece of trim also has the dimmer knob for the instrument panel lights on it -- and as a result, i have *NO* instrument panel lights at all right now. A bit of a problem. (It's a 97 Contour Sport V6. The "Sport" means GL interior trim, I believe)

There are three wires that previously attached to the dimmer knob: Black, Orange and Orange/White.

Can anyone out there suggest a quick-fix to get my panel lights to turn on? I've got to go and find a replacement part at a junkyard or online, but that's going to take a few days. I feel like I ought to be able to jumper (with an appropriate resistor, probably) across the right wires and make it work -- but I don't want to do that without a little more info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- it is surprisingly disconcerting to drive on the highway at night without a usable speedometer...

Thanks!

--tim

N
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
N
I,m not sure about your wires color.

3 wires:
Black: ground
Orange/White: to fuse box and module
White/Red: Shorting bar

I'm not sure about this one, but if a was in your situation, i will try (there is still a fuse protecting the system) grounding the black wire and connect the other two together. What i think will happen is that you will ground the dimmer and bypass it which will result by having your instrument panel lights at the highest, which is not bad at all.

Nic.

Contour 99 MTX V6 fully loaded, stock with 110000km. Illuminated sunroof switch. About to do the mystique rear dome light conversion with eyeball dome light.
T
TimFoo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Worked perfectly, thx!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard