Originally posted by yungin16TX:
Apparently YOU the consumer of THEIR products have to INFORM them that you OWN the car. The rep told me that Ford more than likely sent out notification to the original owner, and that they also stated in the notification that if he/she no longer owned the car, to "please send a postcard with the informantion regarding the new owners."
To me that sounds like passing the buck. I do not understand how a car, with a VIN, cannot be tracked through any other database (i.e. dept. of motor vehicles) in order to find the current owners?? It isn't that hard, and a dealership should retain the right to do such research for recall purposes, IF they were REALLY concerned with customer service.

If every manufacturer of every vehicle in the US had to notify every owner in every state about every recall, you're talking about having each state's DOT do nothing but VIN searches all day. It just isn't practical especially when you're talking about recalls/TSBs that aren't safety related.

What's easier is going to your local dealer every so often and simply asking a service rep if there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle. Consider it a part of your yearly required maintenance.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures