Originally posted by DemonSVT:
I don't buy 250 lbs or 300 lbs for a second! Hell not even 200 lbs.

I don't even buy them losing as much weight as an SVT.

Why is that?

The SVT's have a heavier spare tire for one when compared to the 14" & 15" cars.

SVT rear seats are slightly heavier due to the covering on them (likely an leather optioned SE matches the weight)

The most weight reduction (not including fuel) I could get without stripping out interior cabin panels or the passenger seat was 91 lbs.
This was done on digital corner scales. It doesn't get any more accurate.

This doesn't include any weight saved from previous modifications either.(battery, no pre-cats, No y-pipe, custom exhaust, multiple brackets removed, etc) I saved quite a bit there!

The passenger seat weighs about 10 lbs. The inner cabin panels even less then that. So figure maybe 105-110 lbs with a fairly gutted interior. Yeah.

For ref - The rear seat bottom is really not worth removing. It weighs well under 8lbs. Cloth ones even less.

You get the bulk of your gains from the spare & jack, the rear seat backs, and amount of fuel. That's it.

Fuel weight is about 100 lbs for a full tank. So say 40 lbs with just under 1/2 a tank.

That means fully stripped with 1/3 tank a "heavier" SVT sheds about 150-165 lbs.

My figures for normal street trim with a full tank & driver: 3200 lbs
Race weight with 1/2 tank & driver: 3070 lbs

That's 130 total pounds lighter and 50 lbs is fuel weight reduction.

100 lbs for a 12 gal tank of gas? Planning factor for JP-8 is only about 3 lbs/gal, and that's closer to diesel. You're talking around 9 lbs/gal?

And besides, Kremit had some other "add-ons" that he took out. Let's see, if I count baby seats, work papers, lunchbox, empty pop cans and nutri-grain wrappers, and other assorted detritus in my "before" weight, I might see a big difference, too.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998