Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I tried moving and tightning the braided grounding wire and I had no success. It still knocked and arced.

Grrrrr

Does enyone know where it leads. The wire just kinda dissapears behind the engine and I cannot see what exactly its grounded to.

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Braided wire is the grounding strap, it should be bolted to the battery, firewall or block itself. If you've changed the wires, and it still arc's, check the plugs. They're ethier bad, or you've gap'd them wrong. You said you used autolite wires, you have autolite plugs in there also? IMO Autolite is one of the sh*ttyist brands out there. So you might want to look into changing your plugs as well.

Quote:

My bicycle has four wheel disc brakes

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Ok guys... Within the past week I have replaced the coil pack, spark plugs (Motorcraft Platnum) gapped at .40, and plug wires (Magnicore 8.5mm racing wires). I have made sure the braided ground wire is placed correctly, and everything is where it should be, as far as I know or can see.

Still no change. I am literally at the end of my rope. I need some suggestions BAD!!! Please suggest anything you think I could check, change, or replace.

I dont think that any shop would be able to troubleshoot this any better than I have.

If I cannot fix this before Thanksgiving you guys will see my tour in the classifieds.

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Nobody???

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Red92784:
Ok guys... Within the past week I have replaced the coil pack, spark plugs (Motorcraft Platnum) gapped at .40, and plug wires (Magnicore 8.5mm racing wires). I have made sure the braided ground wire is placed correctly, and everything is where it should be, as far as I know or can see.

Still no change. I am literally at the end of my rope. I need some suggestions BAD!!! Please suggest anything you think I could check, change, or replace.

I dont think that any shop would be able to troubleshoot this any better than I have.

If I cannot fix this before Thanksgiving you guys will see my tour in the classifieds.

0.4 what?
The stock gaps should be 0.54

Make sure the ground strap is sitting on top of the coil. It doesn't have corrosion on the mounting tab, and the bolt that it comes into contact with as well as the coil, are also not corroded. the other end of the strap should be connected to the body of the car or to the engine block.

PS a few photos of your coil, wires etc, the way you have it all installed would be helpful in diagnosing this issue..

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I have nothing to host the photos.

I know the stock gap is .54 but someone suggested closing the gap a little. Others have said that they knoticed an improvement when gapping the plugs at .40.

I cannot see what the grounding strap is connected to. It is not visible from any angle. It just dissapears. It seems to be connected to the block but I cannot see it.

The plug wires are routed in the stock configuration and the OEM coil is mounted in the origional spot.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I think I forgot to mention that the knocking is internal. This leads me to believe that the sound I'm hearing is predetonation, caused by the spark arching from wire to wire.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard