#1062371 09/27/04 06:17 PM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by Quick_SVT:
SVT's, hell contiques in general are not for the mechanically timid. These cars will make a backyard mechanic out of the average owner. Everything you stated that is wrong with your tour is small beans, one weekend and lots of beer would have all that work done.

So I've found! Problem with trying to be a backyard mechanic is you need the tools to do so. The closest friend I have with any equipment is ~150mi away...if he agrees to help that might be my best bet since he is very well setup (huge shop with a lift, and everything you can imagine a guy with a lift in his shop might have). Anyhoo, I'll just have to buck up and get it done sounds like. thx!

#1062372 09/27/04 06:19 PM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by RawBurt:
Everyone gets frustrated with their contours. This is what you should do, sell your car to some kid who will actually appreciate it!

aww come on, that's not fair man. When I love my car, I really do love it. It's just those other times... that, well, lead to threads like this.

#1062373 09/27/04 06:22 PM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:

Ford Coutour SVT's suffer from automotive Bipolar Disorder.

No doubt...!

In regards to the CEL, I'm kinda worried I'll end up in one of those get-CEL-then-replace-O2sensor-rinse-and-repeat cycles. But hey, maybe I'll just lean on you guys a little harder then...?

edited to add: I'm thinking about getting something like this:
1997 BMW M3, 84k, blk, 5spd, 4dr, 6 cd changer, brand new tires, in good cond. $13,500.

Though currently, based on the input I'm seeing, perhaps I should wait until I hit major problems or 150k miles before thinking about selling...

Last edited by Zetetic; 09/27/04 06:30 PM.
#1062374 09/27/04 06:23 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Zetetic:
Everyone gets frustrated with their contours. This is what you should do, sell your car to some kid who will actually appreciate it!

aww come on, that's not fair man. When I love my car, I really do love it. It's just those other times... that, well, lead to threads like this.

Okay okay, maybe that was wrong of me. But listen you must be prepared for problems with these cars. You think you have it bad with all those little problems. 2 days after i bought my 99 svt, the alternator and battery decided to die on me and was in the shop for about a week! That was the first sign that showed me what my car was ready to offer.

#1062375 09/27/04 06:38 PM
Z
Zetetic Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
Z
Okay okay, maybe that was wrong of me. But listen you must be prepared for problems with these cars. You think you have it bad with all those little problems.

Well keep in mind, I haven't listed out the problems I've had with the car, just what needs attention currently. The list I feel isn't that important, just that I've had my fair share of problems. Nothing HUGE though or even worth mentioning, except for maybe that a tire shop (les schwab) improperly lifted my car which damaged the skirts, and then when another shop was repairing this the car partially fell off the lift and damaged quite a bit of stuff, primarily suspension components. They told me they replaced the parts with "better than stock" stuff, but later the Ford dealer said the replacements were basically crud, and luckily (!) replaced them with oem stuff under warranty.

None of this was Ford's fault or the car's, but nevertheless it leaves me with doubts, since I lack the knowledge/tools to take it apart myself and verify the quality of both repair jobs compared to stock.

#1062376 09/27/04 06:47 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
So what, do you want us to decide whether or not you keep your car or not, shall we set up a poll and which ever one wins is your decision?

Sell Car: Yes or No?
Yes!
No!

#1062377 09/27/04 06:50 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Zetetic:
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:

Ford Coutour SVT's suffer from automotive Bipolar Disorder.

In regards to the CEL, I'm kinda worried I'll end up in one of those get-CEL-then-replace-O2sensor-rinse-and-repeat cycles.

I'm waiting for the CEL to say "take-baseball-bat-and-beat-self-in-head......repeat as needed."

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
#1062378 09/28/04 05:38 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I would sell it. This has come up before with outher CEG'ers and I've told them to keep. But in this case, sell.

WHY?

It sounds like you're tired of the car and need a new one. The '00 CSVT is the best production year (I have an E0), and had "the least problems." If you can get a buyer, I'd get rid of it, because the maintenance you have outlined will set you back $2k, and that won't add to the value of the car.

As for a "new car" I wouldn't look into used M3's or the such. You'll be dropping A LOT more in maintenance in those cars, and parts are far more expensive, etc. For 13.5k you could get a pre-certified used 325i or something and not worry about expensive maintenance costs, etc.

imo.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard