Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57
#1038368 09/01/04 01:05 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
It's interesting how a thread can go 18+ pages and not be on the original subject.

#1038369 09/01/04 01:08 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by arch:
Quote:

Police say the PIT maneuver is used as a last result

Quote:

Police also learn to avoid using the PIT with certain types of vehicles, such as SUVs or large passenger vans. Vehicles with a high center of gravity easily roll when hit from behind.

Officers in Georgia last week followed neither of the above. State troopers on Interstate 95 attempted to PIT a Nissan Pathfinder on Aug. 17 at speeds in excess of 110 miles per hour. Two people in the SUV died.

Quote:

Originally developed by the Fairfax County, Virginia, Police Department, the PIT maneuver is taught as a low speed (less than 35 mph), precision technique, requiring a clear location and careful timing.

Quote:

Jasper County won't use the "Pursuit Intervention Technique" performed by Georgia state troopers, he said. They also won't chase suspects for more than a short time in traffic unless they know a serious crime has been committed.
"If they had just murdered someone, that's different," Hughes said. "If it's just a traffic violation and it's too dangerous to pursue someone, we terminate the chase."

"We have a no-chase policy," said Port Royal Police Chief James Cadien. "Unless it is a felony, or a serious crime, and (officers) know the person they are chasing was involved in that crime, what they are allowed to do is get a tag number, back off and let them go."

"You attempt to stop a car and if they decide they're going to go 110 mph, they're not going to go that fast if you're not behind them, pushing," Cadien said. "The harder you chase them, the faster they're going to go."

Calling off a police chase doesn't necessarily mean a suspect is going to get away.
Armed with a tag number, vehicle description and suspect description, officers can track down culprits later and pursue charges, said Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner. Supervisors in Beaufort County must approve and monitor every chase, he said. They are also supposed to call off any chase that endangers the public unless the suspect would pose a greater danger if allowed to go free.

Just because one officer abandons a chase doesn't mean another won't be on the lookout just down the road or knocking on a suspect's door a few hours later. But Tanner said the dangers of chases are too great to pursue suspects who may be wanted for minor crimes.

That is everything I was saying before, right out of a police officers mouth. Hey sandman are you going to stick up for these cops too? Cause you know that would mean you would have to contradict yourself.

Huh? Howabout it?

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
#1038370 09/01/04 01:10 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Again, this has nothing to do with what GSP considers it's policy on PIT manuevers.

Quit being an [censored] and trying to bait Sandman. He's twice the man you'll ever be.

Last edited by PackRat; 09/01/04 01:11 AM.
#1038371 09/01/04 01:11 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by PackRat:

You've yet to provide any evidence that this use of the PIT manuever is a violation of Georgia State Patrol policy.

Quote from the GA Police Dept:"The State Patrol's policy on pursuits says the ramming maneuver used on Sharp's vehicle "should only be used at reasonable speeds and in locations where it is reasonable to expect that the maneuver can be safely accomplished."

You want the web address???

98 Contour SVT (soon to be reborn) 2000 GMC Envoy... Screw you guys, I like it. 89' Mustang 5.0 (Just bolt on's... for now)
#1038372 09/01/04 01:13 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Red92784:
Originally posted by PackRat:

You've yet to provide any evidence that this use of the PIT manuever is a violation of Georgia State Patrol policy.

Quote from the GA Police Dept:"The State Patrol's policy on pursuits says the ramming maneuver used on Sharp's vehicle "should only be used at reasonable speeds and in locations where it is reasonable to expect that the maneuver can be safely accomplished."

The manuever was safely accomplished. No other motorists were involved. The GSP has already stated on that video that the manuever was done properly.

#1038373 09/01/04 01:19 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
You just proved yourself wrong..

So 100+mph is a reasonable speed?

Performing that manuver over 35mph is concered deadly force.

I feel better now. Because now that all the FACTS have been posted I can rest.

Now me and arch really get the last laugh.

Pick at the FACTS all you want but they are FACTS. Any one who reads this now will understand that the cops did not act correctly and they caused the death of an innocent minor.

#1038374 09/01/04 01:20 AM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
OK suppose they where allowed to continue and after the spike strip did work, this 4500 lb moving at 100 mph piles into a car caring your family? THEY ALL DIE! Who do you blame? The cops? I mean it certainly by your logic it couldn't be the people in the other car breaking the law. There must have been something else they could have done. Well spiking them in heavy traffic is not an exact science but Kremi said it would work so how come it didn't?
I said earlier that in MY eyes the 17 after 60-some miles is an accomplice. That's MY opinion, bite me if you don't like it!
As far as life goes I care a lot but I care far less for those breaking the law and endangering other because of what amounts to their own selfishness.

Maybe when you grow up you'll understand but I doubt it!

Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
After the spike strip did work? Well their vehicle would be decellerating prettyt quickly at that point. Why would they hit a vehicle then as opposed to the 70 miles they already went?
This is all opinion, we need to both bite each other.
DUDE, you think that 17 yr old was breaking the law? You have some weird logic to me. I know that if I was driving there are many people that could TRY to stop me, but I could easily get them to stop, by hitting,etc. (Many could also stop me by hitting,etc.)
Like I said the cops weren't completely wrong. But in that 70 mile chase, they could have tried strips or something else. Did they keep doing that chase just hoping at some point the SUV would decide to stop? They should have tried something before then.
You really really have bad logic when you think because someone is in a vehicle they are a law breaker and should die. Sad thing is you're already grown up and have that logic.

I hate to bring this whole arguement back up but, if those Georgia Troopers would have used the spike strip on that Pathfinder, just given the height, size, and weight of it, when those tires shred after hitting the spikes that 100+ mph it was going would have instantly made it flip and roll down the interstate at a 100+ mph. and that would have still killed the 2 suspects and prolly would have taken out a couple of other vehicles. so either way those 2 were going to die since they didn't stop. i know i am adding to this post a couple of days late but i just read it today. and that is just my opinion of what would have happened.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/555327 '95 Contour GL Pre98 SVT front bumper and some other stuff 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with the SXT package Proud to serve in the US Army!
#1038375 09/01/04 01:21 AM
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Originally posted by Red92784:
You just proved yourself wrong..

So 100+mph is a reasonable speed?

Performing that manuver over 35mph is concered deadly force.

I feel better now. Because now that all the FACTS have been posted I can rest.

Now me and arch really get the last laugh.

Pick at the FACTS all you want but they are FACTS. Any one who reads this now will understand that the cops did not act correctly and they caused the death of an innocent minor.

How did I prove myself wrong?

"reasonable speed" is rather vague. If the GSP didn't consider the manuever to have been performed properly, THEY WOUDLN'T HAVE SAID THAT IT HAD BEEN.

You and Arch have proven nothing other than the fact that you two are complete horses asses.

Last edited by PackRat; 09/01/04 01:23 AM.
#1038376 09/01/04 01:22 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I think the spike strip idea was abandond early this morning.

#1038377 09/01/04 01:24 AM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Hmm... FACTS! FACTS! FACTS!

Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard