Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#1035111 08/26/04 08:35 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
...I have once...
I actually bought the car while I was in Africa ;-)
Originally posted by SpliceVW:
Originally posted by GRN99SVT:
Make sure you test drive

Hahahahaha sorry I know you are just trying to help but.. has anyone actually ever bought a car WITHOUT test driving it...?

Ryan Trollin!
#1035112 08/26/04 09:10 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by RoadiJeff:
has to be <$21k out the door price.

Take a look at the Dodge SRT/4. Under $21k, Mopar Stage 1,2,3 mods for over 300 hp if you want it and a 0-60 of 5.9 seconds stock without any stage upgrades.

If I didn't love tinkering with my Mystique so muc I'd have one in my garage right now.

I second this. You really can't beat the performance vs. dollar of this car. It's also built very very well, so you don't have to go into the engine unless you start going over 500hp or so. The interior isn't great, my friend was vacuuming his and some of the carpet just came right off. BUT you are paying for the engine,tranny,and suspension when you buy it. Though if creature comforts,etc. are more your thing, you don't want the srt4.

Not really looking for a super fast performance. I don't do major mods, I barely even do minor ones. I just enjoy a spirited drive every once and a while, so its gotta be just a little sporty.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
#1035113 08/26/04 09:11 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
If you think you have negative equity in your CSVT just wait until you get the FSVT. Dealer discounts have em marked down over $6K, down to $16,500. Have a look at what used '02 and '03 FSVT's are going for. If resale is an issue and your financing longer than 48months I would stay away from FSVT's unless you can pick one up at the $17K mark.

Saturn Red Line would be in your price range.....
Mazda? kinda Ford....... a 6s out the door is close to $21K after disocunts

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1035114 08/26/04 09:26 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
The problem with the negative equity isn't that I'm concerned about getting it. The problem is that I *have* alot of negative equity, and have to get it financed. The cash back and the negative equity almost cancel each other out. It'll basically go back up to the MSRP, which I can get financed for. Watch this example (values are approximated):

FSVT:
$20k + $7k (current loan) - $3k (trade-in value) - $3k (incentives) = $21k to be financed.

SRT-4:
$21k + $7k (current loan) - $3k (trade in value) = $25k to be financed.

So with the FSVT, I have to get a loan for $21k on a $20k car. With the SRT4, I have to get a loan for $25k on a $21k car. Credit union won't do finance that high over, I have to come up with $4k out of pocket.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
#1035115 08/26/04 09:35 PM
F
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
F
Yeah but as soon as you roll that car off the lot you're gonna be right back to having negative equity again...that's what I believe he was trying to point out. Focus depreciates rapidly, worse I think that the CSVT so it you manage to get one at MSRP AFTER paying off the excess on your 'Tour the Focus will drop off so fast that you'll be right back to negative equity; just on a different car. Your best bet really is just to keep the car a little longer until you can get it paid off or at least within a grand of it being paid off. Otherwise, you're just going to to through a perpetual cycle of owing more on your car than it's worth.

Formerly known as Sneaku I MISS MY BABY!!! '00 Blk CSVT #1087/2150 built 12/23/99
#1035116 08/26/04 09:47 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
S
As long as the car LASTS me that long, that doesn't really concern me. I was going to trade in my car when the first engine was dying, but you guys told me not to. Now, about $4000 later, as my new engine, new clutch and flywheel, A/C, fuel pump, and more are dead or dying.. I'm wondering why I listened. I would assume the focus will last me 7 years, I know it'll last me at least 5 because that's the warrantee it comes with. When I get to that point, I won't have to worry about negative equity because it'll be PAID OFF.

#1035117 08/26/04 10:06 PM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
How in the world do you get upside down by $4200 on a 7 model year old Contour? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious as to how it happens!

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#1035118 08/26/04 10:37 PM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Well why not SAVE like crazy the next 3-4 months and try and come up with your negative equity and sell the car for $5K.

No chance you will keep the FSVT more than 3yrs....... How long have you owned the CSVT?

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
#1035119 08/26/04 10:50 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by RogerB:
Originally posted by Antonio:
Originally posted by RogerB:
E36 M3.

Your joking right?

I second the SRT-4.

Why would I be joking?

You can keep your cheesy little Neon.

Now a used Maxima, I'd consider.

But considering that BMW was a target for SVT when they took hold of the Contour, I mean, what better car to replace it with?

I'm talking about the 95-99 MY version, btw. Did you think I meant a new one? Anyway, you can find plenty of nice M3s in his stated price range, and they are definitely not Japanese.

After my SVT went to dust. I looked at ALOT of E36 M3's. Many of the 95-97's have dropped into the $15,000-$20,000. The thing is most have high mileage. Now if you factor in repair costs and general maintenance then his budget will be shot. Shall we talk about insurance prices?

Now, do you have anything else smart to say?

SpliceVW, live up to "VW" in your name and get a used GTI. You know you want to.

Last edited by Antonio; 08/26/04 11:06 PM.

Now I hate America? That is a new one to me.
#1035120 08/27/04 01:41 AM
L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Originally posted by SpliceVW:
Hahahahaha sorry I know you are just trying to help but.. has anyone actually ever bought a car WITHOUT test driving it...?

Well, I did, actually. Ordered my SVT Contour sight unseen when it was announced in March 1997. I had never seen one in person until the salesman drove it up to me in the dealer parking lot. If you have a taste for performance cars, test drives are not all that easy to get. And even when you do, you can't really tell all that much about the car because you have to

a. be careful with a near-zero mileage car with an unbroken-in motor.

b. have a salesman in the car with you pressuring you to drive as conservatively as possible, as well as get back to the dealership to consumate the deal.

c. realize that a single test drive is essentially meaningless. How much can you really learn about a car with just one drive? Maybe how it fits your body, how the car's controls feel -- that's about it. To really know a car takes a long time.

Before I get flamed, I'm talking about high-performance cars that are relatively rare. Dealers almost never have sports car test-drive mules, and they don't want people to test drive their inventory because no buyer wants to purchase a sports car that has been potentially been beaten on by previous shoppers. It's a Catch 22: you can't test drive the car unless you buy it, but you won't buy it unless you test drive it.

When Evos and STi's first came out, getting a test drive was nearly impossible. That has improved a bit, but the same set of rules apply to a C6 Corvette, Porsche 911, Mustang Cobra, or other similar sports cars.

Much as people rail about the car magazines (rags), they are the only group that has enough access to the cars in environments that allow them to truly explore the car's limits. I find if I pick a writer that I trust based on years of reading their opinions, then I can usually tell whether the car they are writing about is one that I could grow to like. It's a crapshoot, to be sure, but it is a price we pay for being automotive enthusiasts.

Now, if you were going to buy a Dakota or a Camry or Buick, then by all means, take a nice, long leisurely test drive. Most of those dealers would be happy to accomodate you.

Last edited by Lee K; 08/27/04 01:46 AM.

Lee K 98 SVT Contour, silver (sold after 7 years and 100K miles) 03 Lancer Evolution, red
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard