Come on Mike, you know that being wrong is a hard pill for anyone to swallow. Terry, myself, Demon; we have all been wrong at times. It takes a secure, bigger man to come on and admit we are wrong.
However, when you factor in the internet and all the screaming wannabe's who follow after people can't stand it when their 'expert' is wrong and then dump them....you can understand why it is sometimes easier to say nothing at all then come out in print and admit you are wrong. Besides, if your're wrong once then people find it easier for you to be wrong again. I find that it builds character. You obviously know that Terry has been wrong in the past and you still respect him, so do I. That is proof that it is ok to be wrong.
So why am I saying this? I think its a fu|<|<ing waste of time to argue about the who's been right and wrong stuff, or to stick up for people who are smart enough and experienced enough to defend themselves.

IF you are worried about the sand issue then get a low mileage used motor with a return guarantee if there is low-end damage. Then you can't be wrong because any manufacturing defect is pretty much going to have happened already with regard to casting sands. Hell the low mileage used motor has the advantage of being tested, already broke in if you retain the rings and is so much cheaper than a new one.
Also, this sand in the motor is probably a very recent phenomenon and doesn't explain all the original spun bearing problems. In my mind they are not related and you guys should apply a little logic before yelling fire in the theater or people like dragonfly will start to think that the duratec is a bad motor and then that would reflect bad on all of Ford, Mazda, and Jaguar to say the least....and we know how our superior Japanese and European brethren make such better cars than we do.....yeah.

warmonger

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black