Originally posted by DemonSVT:
I was told that it would not make it all the way into the filter.

With that said - Even if it did it would be passing through the entire system to get there.

That would make sense if the problem is after the filter location in the oil gallery and before the oil drains. (which feed the pan/pickup)
That means this material could defintely do it's damage before it circulated back to the filter. It it even made it that far without collecting somewhere.

Now the hit to miss rate must be extremely low but even still that's a crazy thing to "miss"

Really though, how significant do you think it would be? Many of these engines being used here are AFTER they have been swapped hybrid or not and after the lower end has been pulled apart and new bearings put in. They are used and have been broke in already in many cases with just some new bearings and maybe new rings thrown in. No one has posted any significant bearing issues for engines that haven't spun a bearing and there is very little evidence of scratching on the crank journals. I've seen what grit does to engine bearings and it either embeds itself into the bearing and proceeds to scratch the hell out of the crank or it just scratches the hell out of the crank on it's way around. Also you can't expect grit that is pumped through the passages to really cycle through the oil more than once. Small amounts of the grit will be left in the heads and pan and the oil suction is unlikely to pull most of it up again. IF it passes the oil filter then it is small enough to pass through all the bearing tolerances and may not cause much wear if any. So I don't see this holding all that much weight.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black