Terry's post this morning states that it is a "production issue" that Ford hasn't established a "start date" on, so an unknown number of engines are at risk.

It creeps me out because I was thinking the same thing last night after I recalled something I had discussed with another friend who does engineering for a Ford supplier:

Quote:

Will says: Posted on May 24, 2004 11:58 AM GMT

The Ford Five Hundred is a total piece of garbage. Trust me I'm very familiar with the engineering and the people behind it. Total Junk. Electrical = nightmare, and according to -------, Engine = Nightmare. Don't call it an up and coming car, it's not. Ford has repeatedly designed themselves into imposible situations and you can't convice them otherwise.
Five Hundred/FreeStlye = BAD

Austin says: Posted on May 24, 2004 3:25 PM GMT

Now why would the engine in the 500 be so bad? I thought it used the 3.0 Duratec engine. Same one in other Ford/Mazda/Jag cars.

Will says: Posted on May 24, 2004 4:01 PM GMT

Being manf in Cleveland engine Plant #1, new plant. He said they are doing stuff at the plant that goes contrary to existing design specs. Basically the plant, not engineering, is deciding how the engine should be built. So the final product, while being built to existing specs will be different. He seemed quite upset about it when I talked to him about it last.

I'll see if I can find out any details about these manufacturing changes. If there is any appropriate information to be shared I'll let you guys know.