Originally posted by tbirdjayc:
Interestingly enough...I have posted this question on a few different makes forums. It seems the more performance oriented the car (WRX, EVO, 330, 350Z), the more people downshift. Also the more expensive the car, the more people seem to favor downshifting. I dont know what this suggests, or if it suggests anything at all. It's just interesting. Maybe the people driving more expensive cars are simply older, and stuck in their ways, i dont know.

Consesus seems to say taht slowing down your car in neutral is just blatantly wrong. You should never disconnect power from the drive wheels for any extended period of time. That isn't opinion, you are right or wrong. As far as downshifting, I always rev match, so clutch wear isn't a factor. Brakes can overheat and glaze if abused, especially if you are maybe hauling 3 200+ lbs buddies and going down a hill.

I really expected the majority of people to be in the favor of downshifting, im kinda suprised actually. I think some people have a lot to learn about how a car works, dynamics-wise. If in fact there is any credibility to saying that the Duratec, or MTX-75 can not handle "downshifting" well then i guess we have digressed quite a bit in the last 40 years. Since this was common practice back in the day. I will actually be placing a call to SVT tommorow and asking them. I don't know if they can or will give me an answer, but i'd like to know if im doing damage to my car by driving it the right way. Might be time for something new.

Its funny, you keep saying how 'we need to learn how a car works' and you cannot understand that brakes 'overheating' just does not happen anymore.