Originally posted by Majisto:
All the lies, and egos being thrown around.

I'm glad Ford did away with the 302. Anybody who dares tell me their stock 302 can keep up with a stock 281 is either smoking the good stuff, or jealous. Yes, the 302 is a tough engine, and yes it can be built up well, but a stock 302 Mustang is a DOG.

All you auto haters will be happy to know that the 4R70W will be replaced by the 5R55N, which has seen action under the Explorer since 1997, and as a C3 for over 20 years. It also under-pins the Lincoln LS. Maybe the better spaced gear ratios, and faster shifting of this 5-speed auto will help the auto Mustang out a bit. I know it works well in the Explorer. My dad owns a 2000 XLT with the 5R and 4.0 combo, and it will run close to an 8 second 0-60. The shifting is next to flawless.

The Fox chassis Mustang definitely has its fair shrae of problems, mostly in the rear suspension. Anybody that tells me a Mustang handles extremely well has never driven a true sports car. That rear end bounces around like you're driving an old pickup truck, and the under-steer is horrendous. Ford needed 4 shocks to keep it all under control in the rear. Seriously guys, the Mustang's big weakness in fact is in its suspension. The geometry just sucks. The Camaro/Firebird had a better system, but GM FUBARed the safety of the car, and the interior was about as beautiful as Martha Stewart. Japan smoked us on sports cars, and every few years I keep seeing displacement rising.

I like the Essex V-6 motor actually for what it is. 1999+ models recieved a huge change to bring it up towards what the Windstar puts out. Yes, the headgaskets are a problem due to the coolant return line being too close to cylinder #1, but owners need to remember that coolant needs to be CHANGED once in a while, not just re-filled. Again, it's a good torque motor that can't breate for a dang up top. That's what the Mustang is about. It will be replaced by the wonderful 4.0 SOHC motor, which can do a bit of both.

I don't think a Contour has much legroom either, and a 99+ V-6 Mustang will gladly rip any Non-SVT 'Tour a new one, but the Contour will definitely be much more fun to drive due to the fact that it weighs maybe 3-400 lbs. less I believe? In the end, why in the world are we arguing about this? These two cars aren't anywhere near the same league.

this has got to be the most idiotic post i've read yet...obviously you know absolutely nothing about mustangs...your post is so ridiculous i won't even waste my time responding to most of it....

and for your information the 96-98 2v 4.6's were some of the most pathetic mustangs to be built...it took a 4v 4.6 to even hang with the old 302 cars...now the '99 up 2v 4.6's are pretty powerful....

and fwiw my 95 gt(with a 302)with nothing more than gears and exhaust has run a best of 14.2@ 98 mph...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!