All the lies, and egos being thrown around.

I'm glad Ford did away with the 302. Anybody who dares tell me their stock 302 can keep up with a stock 281 is either smoking the good stuff, or jealous. Yes, the 302 is a tough engine, and yes it can be built up well, but a stock 302 Mustang is a DOG.

All you auto haters will be happy to know that the 4R70W will be replaced by the 5R55N, which has seen action under the Explorer since 1997, and as a C3 for over 20 years. It also under-pins the Lincoln LS. Maybe the better spaced gear ratios, and faster shifting of this 5-speed auto will help the auto Mustang out a bit. I know it works well in the Explorer. My dad owns a 2000 XLT with the 5R and 4.0 combo, and it will run close to an 8 second 0-60. The shifting is next to flawless.

The Fox chassis Mustang definitely has its fair shrae of problems, mostly in the rear suspension. Anybody that tells me a Mustang handles extremely well has never driven a true sports car. That rear end bounces around like you're driving an old pickup truck, and the under-steer is horrendous. Ford needed 4 shocks to keep it all under control in the rear. Seriously guys, the Mustang's big weakness in fact is in its suspension. The geometry just sucks. The Camaro/Firebird had a better system, but GM FUBARed the safety of the car, and the interior was about as beautiful as Martha Stewart. Japan smoked us on sports cars, and every few years I keep seeing displacement rising.

I like the Essex V-6 motor actually for what it is. 1999+ models recieved a huge change to bring it up towards what the Windstar puts out. Yes, the headgaskets are a problem due to the coolant return line being too close to cylinder #1, but owners need to remember that coolant needs to be CHANGED once in a while, not just re-filled. Again, it's a good torque motor that can't breate for a dang up top. That's what the Mustang is about. It will be replaced by the wonderful 4.0 SOHC motor, which can do a bit of both.

I don't think a Contour has much legroom either, and a 99+ V-6 Mustang will gladly rip any Non-SVT 'Tour a new one, but the Contour will definitely be much more fun to drive due to the fact that it weighs maybe 3-400 lbs. less I believe? In the end, why in the world are we arguing about this? These two cars aren't anywhere near the same league.

2000 Contour SE