Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
N
OK. I am back from my local NAPA (closest place to get to over lunch) and I bought a 19oz can of R-134a with the gauge and everything on it (gauge is removable so I can use it again later if I need to) and for $18.49 plus tax, I am in business. It took me longer to read their instructions on the can (to double check) than to do it.

Note: Many people here were saying to make sure that the can is upright to ensure that the R-134a in gas form goes into the system, but the can stated to turn it upside down. The "experts" at NAPA said that those instructions were correct and that this particular can needs to be upside down.

All I know is that it works. Hopefully however it leaked out is a very slow leak so that I can enjoy the cool air for a while.

Note. Here is what I noticed when checking the gauge. The compressor was kicking in and then shutting off, over and over. On for a few seconds, and off for a few seconds. The reading on the gauge (before filling) would go as high as 55psi when the compressor was not running, and when it was running, it would drop down to 20psi and shut off. As I put the refrigerant in, I noticed that it didn't spike as high, and slowly started staying on more (the compressor) as it stayed above the 20psi mark. After about 5 or so minutes, it was up around 50psi all the time, and the compressor was humming along the whole time.

Thanks to everyone here for the vote of confidence, and for those that offered additional things to check, thank you too. Even at $18.49, it would have been foolish to recharge it if that wasn't the problem (again, I hope that it isn't leaking out fast)...

Nick

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Nick Buol:
I checked the low-side line and it was not cold to the touch. I think that I will try a recharge kit over lunch, so that when I drive home for the day today, I will hopefully have some A/C. We are supposed to hit 97 degrees and I swear that it is about 99% humidity outside. So hot and moist that it is starting to get to a point that you have to work (just a little) at breathing in the hot, humid, and heavy air...

I will let you know how I do.

Hope it works...sounds just a bit low. You've got a leak, duh, but if it lasts the season, I wouldn't worry too much. If it just lasts a couple of weeks or so...take it to somebody you trust to have it checked...that's not an order, just a suggestion.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Nick Buol:
OK. I am back from my local NAPA (closest place to get to over lunch) and I bought a 19oz can of R-134a with the gauge and everything on it (gauge is removable so I can use it again later if I need to) and for $18.49 plus tax, I am in business. It took me longer to read their instructions on the can (to double check) than to do it.

Note: Many people here were saying to make sure that the can is upright to ensure that the R-134a in gas form goes into the system, but the can stated to turn it upside down. The "experts" at NAPA said that those instructions were correct and that this particular can needs to be upside down.

I don't know about that particular can [right side up or down], or those experts, but it's always smart to introduce the freon into the system as a gas, not a liquid, that's why you'll find the low-side service valves near the compressor or near the filter drier/accumulator...after the evaporator has done its job of returning the freon back into its vapor form...the compressor compresses vapor, not liquids.

Quote:

All I know is that it works. Hopefully however it leaked out is a very slow leak so that I can enjoy the cool air for a while.

Note. Here is what I noticed when checking the gauge. The compressor was kicking in and then shutting off, over and over. On for a few seconds, and off for a few seconds. The reading on the gauge (before filling) would go as high as 55psi when the compressor was not running, and when it was running, it would drop down to 20psi and shut off. As I put the refrigerant in, I noticed that it didn't spike as high, and slowly started staying on more (the compressor) as it stayed above the 20psi mark. After about 5 or so minutes, it was up around 50psi all the time, and the compressor was humming along the whole time.

Thanks to everyone here for the vote of confidence, and for those that offered additional things to check, thank you too. Even at $18.49, it would have been foolish to recharge it if that wasn't the problem (again, I hope that it isn't leaking out fast)...

Nick

Good luck...and again, I don't really know much about those cans...never even knew that they started adding gauges to them, but 50psi sounds high, normally. If it's getting good and cold, don't worry about it...but if it's overcharged, it'll act almost as if it's undercharged. It won't be cooling like it should, plus your high-side will be around 275+psi...or you may just have a bit of moisture in the system, or a compressor that's a bit weak...if it seems cold to you, just ignore everything that I just wrote, enjoy the A/C and don't worry about it.

Anyway, it's kind of like a tire with a slow leak, even if you put a little bit too much air in it, it won't be that way for long...but hopefully you have a slow leak that's easy to fix when the time comes.

L
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
L
Not trying to hijack this thread, but... I just had my 98.5 CSVT recharged because the A/C was barely even blowing cool air after running for 10 minutes. They said they put a dye in it to trace leaks, if it still had problems. Also said that it held vacuum for 30 minutes without leaking.

Well 2 days later I try to use the A/C and nothing. Same old situation. What would a common problem be and how much should I expect (price range) for the repairs? Seems like the compressor is working though.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by lightngsvt:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but... I just had my 98.5 CSVT recharged because the A/C was barely even blowing cool air after running for 10 minutes. They said they put a dye in it to trace leaks, if it still had problems. Also said that it held vacuum for 30 minutes without leaking.

Well 2 days later I try to use the A/C and nothing. Same old situation. What would a common problem be and how much should I expect (price range) for the repairs? Seems like the compressor is working though.

The dye is a great method for finding a leak if it's under the hood, but not for leaks inside the vehicle...your evapoator. For that, you'll need someone to use their electronic leak detection tool...a *sniffer*

Unless one of your hoses looks really messy or signs of oil being slung around the front of your compressor...a system that loses enough freon in only 2 days to shut off your clutch cycling is probably a hole in your condenser [doesn't happen too often]...or a leak at your evaporator core.

Since the dye is already in your system, checking for leaks in the dash and under the hood will take a whole 5 minutes or so.

If it's your evaporator, expect to pay as much as $900.00 or so, if they also replace the accumulator at the same time...hopefully it's not that tho'

If it was in my shop, I'd hook up my machine first to get a static pressure reading, to confirm that it's actually low on freon and not an electrical problem.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard