Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Originally posted by ContourRacing20:
its ur rev limiter in ur computer...i had the same problem, and bought a jet chip for my computer and now theres no limit and my governor was takin off too

????

This doesn't make sense. If you don't really know, don't post.

Agreed Jim....Idle problmes are consistant with MAF and IAC problmes, or vaccum leaks...THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH REV LIMITERS (not direct twards you Jim), If you think a rev limiter is your problem, then you have bigger problmes than you think....and if you think eliminating the Rev limiter will solve problems like high idle, then you in for a 3 lttier swap early.

Please do more research on a topic before you post somehting as absurd as that (again not directed twards Jim)...Feeding people mis information can cause more harm than good.

Anyways, back to the main topic, do you have and Check Engine Lights on??? Any came on before you had this problem??? All i can say, is its either you MAF, or your IAC that could be bad...maybe throttle hang...in that case its only a dollar fix and the instructions are on the main site.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
There's no doubt this high revving thing is one of the most irritating things about my 99 SVT. I've had it off-and-on for the past 50,000 kilometres (I'm at 95,000) now.

The dealer tried several cures - no codes ever showed - to no avail. What finally worked was replacing the throttle body (warranty, thankfully).

Still, about 15- 20,000 kilometres later, it was doing it again. This time, just cleaned the TB, and that worked for a few months. When the behaviour returned, cleaned the TB again, and the revs returned to normal range. (actually, they're a bit low lately, but that's another story).

I guess this falls into the "for what it's worth" category, since Ford techs have never been able to explain how a dirty TB would cause this, and if so, you'd think it would be a lot more common, since I'm sure SVT owners don't all clean their TBs every 10,000 miles.

I have to say, aside from the screaming engine at a stoplight, it's pretty unnerving to come up behind someone on a crowded expressway, ease off the gas and feel the car actually speed up!

As for the clutch, I'm convinced that regular shifting with the revs far too high like this will contribute to premature wear. I would say the same would apply to brakes as well, since you can't do a lot of gentle coasting to a stop when the car refuses to return to normal idle.

Craig 99SVT black/tan 2725 of 2760
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Like stated before, the throttle hang fix is the way to cure that...you can find it on the www.contour.org main page
in the FAQ section.

It will solve the problem...but form what i hear i t possible that because of the resticted air flow, it could cause your IAC to go bad prematurely.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by F111D F:
With the engine off is the throttle cable releasing on it's own?
You dont' have what year but friend had similar problem, but it wasn't a SVT. It was the cable from the pedal to the Traction Control unit that frayed.
Paul

This is what solved my problem. Hasn't come back in 4 years. There was a recall on the 98's for this.

1998.5 E1 SVT Contour #5482/6535
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Originally posted by steener:
Still, about 15- 20,000 kilometres later, it was doing it again. This time, just cleaned the TB, and that worked for a few months. When the behaviour returned, cleaned the TB again, and the revs returned to normal range. (actually, they're a bit low lately, but that's another story).

I guess this falls into the "for what it's worth" category, since Ford techs have never been able to explain how a dirty TB would cause this, and if so, you'd think it would be a lot more common, since I'm sure SVT owners don't all clean their TBs every 10,000 miles.

I bet some of the cleaner was making it into the IAC and unsticking it. These sorts of reving problems are almost always a sticking or malfunctioning IAC valve.

Take the IAC off and clean it. It may work, it may not. A new one is in order if not.

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
This is the frustrating mystery of it: I have tried everything from the TH fix to cleaning and then replacing the IAC valve, all to no avail as far as this "high revving" thing is concerned.

The dealer assures me the techs have inspected everything mechanical - throttle cables, cruise cables and what not - that could be implicated, and all is as it should be. The TB cleaning is the only thing that seems to make any difference, and even that is only a temporary cure - 4 or 5 thousand miles at most.

Beats the you-know-what outta me.

Craig 99SVT black/tan 2725 of 2760
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
"This is the frustrating mystery of it: I have tried everything from the TH fix to cleaning and then replacing the IAC valve, all to no avail as far as this "high revving" thing is concerned."

Have you cleaned your intake/removing them?

I could be wrong (I'm just repeating what I read in a SVT forum awhile back) but maybe one cure (TH fix) is actually having an adverse effect on the idle problem, since curing the TH will probably defeat the original purpose of why our cars were designed with the slow return to idle characteristic.

I've been thru this myself. TH fix, cleaning everything, replacing IAC. Pretty much solved my problem, but still had a few hot idle issues -- unfixed the TH fix and it now works exactly like it did when the car was new.

M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Divide and conquer

The first thing I would check is an intermittent connection to or an out of range ECT sensor. An enhance OBDII scanner can read the sensor, if it reports a low temp then the PCM selects rich/high idle/open loop. You can remove the connector and place a 100 ohm resister across the connector terminals, if the idle returns to normal replace the sensor.

If you suspect a sticky IAC, remove the feed hose and plug the IAC inlet. If the engine stalls or low idles the IAC is letting air in. Next reconnect the hose and with the engine running pull off the electrical connector to the IAC. If the engine returns to normal idle or stalls the IAC is being controlled by the PCM to high idle. If the High idle continues with the connector off but doesnâ??t with the air line plugged then the IAC is mechanically stuck open.
If the engine continues to race with the IAC air line plugged then air is getting past via the TP or intake man leak.

jeff

have you fixed your ford lately?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard