Print Thread
#1009979 07/21/04 10:10 PM
S
SLEYPR Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
I've searched and not come up with much. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas. But anyway how does one convert regular cluster bulbs to LEDs???

If less is more, think how much more, more is...
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
you can buy them from www.superbrightleds.com, or you can do it the cheaper way and remove the bulbs from their bases, and sodder a resistor onto a led, then sodder it to the base, and install. very quite simple.

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
I followed auiotour's howto which is the best thing out there for this stuff (Llane, please put it in your sig!). Since my install, the LED behind the gas gauge has gone out, but I think that's just because it was shaken loose from its holder. The SVT gauges are just too dim if you replace all five bulbs with LEDs, so I would suggest trying to mix one regular bulb in there to achieve the best results. That, or do what I'm doing and get a set of indiglos.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
aight I will put it in my sig.. I gotta update the tutorials more. I am no longer going with superbright for anything. I mean they shorted me 13 #74s, and then still have not refunded me for almost 25 dome light bulbs that were like $2 each... not to happy.
here is the link for now though

http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/tutorial/

95 SES Sold 99 SE Sport Sold 99 SVT T-Red Tan Interior. K&N, Magnecors, 19' Theorys, And some audio stuff.
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Hetfield: do you have the OEM SVT gauges? I've got indiglos, so I'm not worried about dimness. I just want to change the needles' color to red instead of orange.

auiotour: I went to that superbrightleds.com (or whatever the address is ) and I got all confused looking for the LED's you said I needed, so I went to Radio Shack. There I found all kinds of LED's that were all kinds of voltages and resistances. What do I need?

2000 Contour SE 2.5L ATX - Toreador Red 2001 VW Golf GLS 2.0L MTX - Tornado Red Buy my possessed VCR!!
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
If you have svt gauge cluster you will need to swap the needles from a car from the junk yard. to a normal contour, theres are white. As for LEDs
That is what you need, you can buy them from me, or else where on the internet, but warn you mine are 3500 mcd, while radio shacks brights one is just over 300 mcd. major difference. You need 5mm LEDs, 3mm are to small and won't shine enough. You will also need 510 ohm resistors.
74 LED bulb

That is what superbrights look like. They don't fit the sockets as nice as you would hope. If you go to products from their main page, then go to page two. scroll down to almost the end. look for 74 LED bulb.

ohh yes, anything 12v and under will work. just watch the mcd value, and if its under 11v you should put a resistor on it to drop the 12v to what ever voltage the LED is.

S
SLEYPR Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by hetfield:
e That, or do what I'm doing and get a set of indiglos.

Thanx for the heads up guys, does anyone know if Canadian spec Indiglos are available?

If less is more, think how much more, more is...
A
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
A
not sure, i know canadian spec custom gauges are avaible if you can find who does them lol.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard