Next Thread
Print Thread
#1009002 07/20/04 05:21 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
I dont know how it could but my day got worse. CEL PO171 - system to lean bank 1

So clean the MAF would be the first thing. The guy at Autozone said the O2 sensor is bad, anyone agree with that, think I would get a code for it if it was.

To inspect the vacuum line do I remove the big X correct?
What else should I do, I'm going on a trip soon and this thing is giving me tons of problems.

Also is it okay to use non-reisud eletric cleaner even if it has sat in the garage since Feb. think it is still good, wont do any harm correct?

thanks

Last edited by HITMANinMI; 07/20/04 05:23 PM.
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
dont have a zetec but if you get that code it is most likely true, although before i replaced the two upper o2 sensors i was getting a code for system to lean on bank 2, now i get that both banks are to rich (from the 19lb injectors im running) and another code buts thats about my mil eliminator

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
UPDATE:

Went to a different Autozone one I always go to. The guy says he doubts the sensor is bad so early only 17k on the new sensor, plus he said he was pretty sure I would get a code for it if it was bad.
So I said I'll clean the MAf first, he said it may not do much but I came home and did it anyways.

He says the first thing he would do is clean the EGR valve. So got some carb. cleaner now if I only I knew where it was?

Also I checked all vacuum lines and they are in good shape no cracks or anything.

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
thats true also about a failing o2 sensor, it throws a code about not switching fast enough

the egr is valve is under the exhaust manifold heatshield

the electrical cleaner shouldnt hurt anything

Last edited by gearhead98; 07/20/04 11:01 PM.

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
UPDATE:

Went to a different Autozone one I always go to. The guy says he doubts the sensor is bad so early only 17k on the new sensor, plus he said he was pretty sure I would get a code for it if it was bad.
So I said I'll clean the MAf first, he said it may not do much but I came home and did it anyways.

He says the first thing he would do is clean the EGR valve. So got some carb. cleaner now if I only I knew where it was?

Also I checked all vacuum lines and they are in good shape no cracks or anything.

Ok, here ya go... I'll throw you a bone since noone else will.

From the 98 Ford Service Manual -

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171 bank 1 (Cylinder 1) indicate the fuel/air ratio is too lean. The fuel trim system is at the rich correction limit.

DTCs HO2S Reference list:

-- HO2S-11 = DTCs P0171 and P0172

-- HO2S-21 = DTCs P0174 and P0175

"HO2S-11", in the last statment there means, Heated 02 Oxygen Sensor - Bank 1 Cylinder1

Possible causes:

Fuel system

-- Excessive fuel pressure.

-- Leaking fuel injector(s).

-- Leaking fuel pressure regulator.

-- Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.

-- Contaminated fuel injector(s).

-- Vapor management valve (VMV) leaking.

Induction system

-- Air leaks after the MAF.

-- Vacuum leaks (vacuum lines and gaskets).

-- Restricted air inlet.

-- PCV system.

-- Fuel purge system.

-- Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

EGR System

-- leaking gasket.

-- Stuck open EGR valve.

-- Leaking diaphragm.

Base engine

-- Oil overfill.

-- Cam timing.

-- Cylinder compression.

-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s).

* Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions and damage.

* Check air cleaner element, air cleaner housing for blockage.

* Verify integrity of the PCV system.

* Check for vacuum leaks.

* Are any of the above concerns present?

Yes
REPAIR as necessary. COMPLETE PCM Reset to clear DTCs. RERUN «Quick Test».

No
GO to Pinpoint Test Step «DC25». If MAF reading is within specification, return to Pinpoint Test Step «H42».

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
wish i knew how to post those , cause i would have, if i knew how to

S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Just fixed the same problem today. Cleaned the MAF, and put a new PCV valve in.

'98 Mystique (Zetec - ATX) 430,000 km !!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard