Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MelC Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I heard today that rebuilding a V-6 contour tranny is harder and more expensive than a 4 cylinder because of the crowded engine compartment and need of double jointedness to work on anything in that car...I would agree with that statement. Problem is the BF disagrees and is making me feel like a stupid female...he thinks that is a load of BS-It seems logical to me since it looks to me like there is alot more going on under the hood of my car than a 4 cylinder contour.

I just couldn't bear the thought of parting with my car so here I am getting it rebuilt... I am thinking of it as a rebirth for my purty white car.

Thanks in advance for any responses/opinions. (that is if I get any :-)

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Anyting in the V6 is harder to do just due to the amount of room it takes up.

But if your rebuilding the tranny, size should play no part...they only pat it would play is getting the tranny in and out of the car.

If your rebuling the trans, they have to remove it to crack the case open to replace the parts that need replacing.

Should be simlilar in the zetec or the v6, but i have never worked on the Zetec, so im only assuming..but generaly speaking.

Lupe

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 07/20/04 12:19 AM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Now if it came to engine work, while working in the car, yes i would ahve to agree that the V6 is way more of a pain in the butt....I have helped worked on my frineds Zetec when he had a blown head gasket..much much easier to work on than my car...if only due to how much more room is in the bay.

Lupe

EDIT: only way i could see you saving money on a Zetec is in Labor of the Removal and replacment of the tranny.

Last edited by Roz 1999 SVT-C; 07/20/04 12:25 AM.

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i payed 1300 or so for a rebuilt tranny to be put in and that included the tranny

hth

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Enigne type or size should play a single part in the labor quote that a shop gives you. Most shops remove the transmission from the bottom, so it really makes no difference.

If you have a shop that is trying to charge you more for the removal of a transmission just because it has a V6, then I say find another shop. they are just trying to take advantage of you. If anything, let your BF go up there with you. If he is so good at making you feel like a stupid female, maybe he will do the same to them and get this worked out for you.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
If your BF Ever becomes more than a boyfriend....it will only be a matter of time before you make him feel like a stupid male.....as the need to do so arises!

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard