Print Thread
R
RFBrown Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
R
I was wondering it this is possible.

i would like to put a four channel amp there becuase all the existing wires for the speakers are there, but im guessin this is not a possiblity b/c otherwise people would have done it already. i dont have a sub, so i dont have to worry about that.

thanks

ryan

'99 SE Sport High beam in low beam mod â?? cool blues, Fog light fix, De-badge, Full Size Spare, K&N drop in Working on Panic into one-touch
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I wouldnt do it. Not much airflow to cool the amp.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
id agree. pain in the ass to get to it. No air flow. Id save that little spot for your stash or something

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
B
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
B
while its not extremely difficult to wire everything up it can be a bit of an ass pain. I paid a stereo shop to do the major wiring Once it's done, its very easy to add additional amps or change out components

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
thought about doing this myself. I think the biggest reason I didn't really consider it is that I was told that the factory amp is tiny, and the space you would get after removing it wouldn't really be big enough to do much with it. the original speaker wiring is there, but I'd venture to say almost everyone gets a bigger gauge speaker wire once they upgrade to an amp. also, running the power/ground/RCA/remote and all that jazz just wouldn't be fun...under the passenger seat seems to work just fine

1995 SE 2.5L V6/MTX 187k
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
the only ones i can think of that might work are the blaupunkt digital class t (iirc). they have plastic casings cuz they put out so little heat. supposed to be pretty decent amps.

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
I took some measurements intending to do the same thing. There are a few amps that could physically work there, but you'd have to do some minor fabrication to match the amp's mounting holes to the factory bracket. A couple of strips of metal or strong wood would probably do the trick.

The other issue is length - only the smallest amps are short enough to not extend too far "down" into the footwell. You'd have to tell passengers not to lift their feet up too far

I found a few amps that might work - the aforementioned Blaupunkts among them. Obviously more choices if you go with 2-ch instead of 4.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
C
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
C
I bought a Hifonics Falcon amp on Ebay and it is TINY. 90w per channel. It would probably fit, but I dont know if it would have the airflow it needs.

-Ken V. 1998.5 SE Praire Tan Zetec ATX psycho_bass@hotmail.com Roush springs Roush rear sway bar BAT struts 17" Millie Miglia HT3 and a ton of subtle asthetic mods

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard