Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1002558 07/16/04 06:39 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by Stryker:
Originally posted by ZetecNinja:
ok I'm about to attempt to change my headgasket.

is there any advice you guys can give me? things to look out for? where to start first? how to make it as easy as possible? level of difficulty?

i'm scared.

clean the piston tops as best you can when you get in there. start at the top, remove the valve over, TB, intake mainfold, Exhaust manifold (possibly, not sure on those last 2 though...never done one on a tour.). then get at the head. dont forget to remove assorted hoses and stuff. your "oil" and "coolant" (more accuratly decribed as cooil and oilant seeing as they will be all mixed together) will basically be a light brown sludge...depending on how bad it blew anyway. but from what you described to me, you were losing compression so fast that the motor couldnt stay running...

level of difficulty: 6/10...(thats IMO, i havent ever done one a contour)

i could already see the brown lookin oil just from pullin up the dip stick...is anything gonna come out of the hoses I disconnect? guess it doesn't really matter anyway but I don't want any surprises...

i need a damn ford service cd

edit: oh yea does anyknow the socket size i need for the valve cover/intake manifold/exhaust manifold/etc...they all appear to be the same size. I tried a 3/8 socket and it was barely too much...I'm thinkin the next available size up is what I need? I'm borrowing tools so I need to tell them what size I need.

Last edited by ZetecNinja; 07/16/04 07:33 AM.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
#1002559 07/16/04 08:17 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I

is there any advice you guys can give me? things to look out for? where to start first? how to make it as easy as possible? level of difficulty?

i'm scared.

clean the piston tops as best you can when you get in there. start at the top, remove the valve over, TB, intake mainfold, Exhaust manifold (possibly, not sure on those last 2 though...never done one on a tour.). then get at the head. dont forget to remove assorted hoses and stuff. your "oil" and "coolant" (more accuratly decribed as cooil and oilant seeing as they will be all mixed together) will basically be a light brown sludge...depending on how bad it blew anyway. but from what you described to me, you were losing compression so fast that the motor couldnt stay running...

i could already see the brown lookin oil just from pullin up the dip stick...is anything gonna come out of the hoses I disconnect? guess it doesn't really matter anyway but I don't want any surprises...

edit: oh yea does anyknow the socket size i need for the valve cover/intake manifold/exhaust manifold/etc...they all appear to be the same size. I tried a 3/8 socket and it was barely too small ...I'm thinkin the next available size up is what I need? I'm borrowing tools so I need to tell them what size I need.

IonNinja 2005 Saturn ION-2 Sedan 1996 Ford Contour GL - Collecting dust...Zetec project anyone?
#1002560 07/16/04 04:32 PM
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
98k on the Tour

New drivers side CV joint
drivers side wheel bearing
new front rotors
new transmission sensor
new o2 sensor #1
new steering rack

but keep in mind this car was used for NYc Dept of Transportation for two yrs before I got it and Carfax showed it was in an accident xmas 1998 or 1999.

I bought it for a great price.

_____________ 98 SE
#1002561 07/16/04 11:19 PM
S
Zippy Zetec on his last legs.
S

i'm scared.

edit: oh yea does anyknow the socket size i need for the valve cover/intake manifold/exhaust manifold/etc...they all appear to be the same size. I tried a 3/8 socket and it was barely too small ...I'm thinkin the next available size up is what I need? I'm borrowing tools so I need to tell them what size I need.

it should be the metric "equvalent" (slightly larger). yes, your coolant hoses will have all kinds of nasty [censored] in them...drain the coolant system and leave it empty while you do this. then after you fix the gasket, try this:

open the drainplug at the bottom fo the radiator.

have someone pour water through the coolant tank with the plug off. when the water coming out of the drainplug is clear, your system is clean. then button her up and add coolant. make sure your headgasket is fixed before you do this. coolant is bad for the inside of an engine, but water is infinently worse. if you do this and your head gasket is not fixed, you are still leaking water into the cylinders. tap water+metal=rust.

ill repeat myself: MAKE SURE YOUR HEAD GASKET IS SEALED BEFORE YOU FLUSH THE SYSTEM.

but to answer your question: whast in your hoses will look alot like sewage and will smell about as good.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#1002562 07/17/04 01:14 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
yea I planned on doing that anyway, I've got about 3/4 of new coolant left...not sure how much to add but thanks for the tip.

I'm guessing I should also change my oil too.

I'm just waiting for this socket piece then I plan to get started.

#1002563 07/17/04 03:46 AM
N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
sweet, keep us updated...

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
#1002564 07/17/04 06:02 AM
S
S
Originally posted by Nate S:

what he said. oh and the oil will need to be changed, yes. off you go into the unkown. if it were me, i would change the rings while i was in there. but that requires a bit more work lol.

Regards, Cole. Relegating to troll status sometime this week. New Whip: 1990 Lexus ES250. Old Hotness: 1995 GL MTX Zetec *IN TRIAGE* "I had a little friend once, but it dont move no more... "
#1002565 07/18/04 01:12 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
knock on wood
163,327K had to fix o2 sensors and regular things like brakes and serpentine belt...
knock on wood again !!!

Silver '98 SVT 3356 of 6535 8/29/97
#1002566 07/18/04 06:18 AM
I
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
I
Originally posted by Nate S:

what he said. oh and the oil will need to be changed, yes. off you go into the unkown. if it were me, i would change the rings while i was in there. but that requires a bit more work lol.

screw that! I just want this baby back on the road, its already been 2 months too long. I asked a couple more people and they wanted me to change the bolts too! I really don't wanna do that if I do not have to...

#1002567 07/18/04 07:46 PM
~130K on a 97 Tour GL

Rebuilt Tranny and thats about it.

Even though once in a while I get Check Battery light that pops on.

But yeah I believe the Zetec is a pretty well build engine

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard