Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hethj7 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
I have searched old posts and it seems like many people have run into an intermittent starting problems but no one (including dealers) have really pinpointed its cause.

My 1998.5 SVT will not start sometimes. I can't pinpoint it to anything as far as weather, hot or cold starts, etc. It just seems to be a random problem. When it doesn't start it just turns over but never catches. This is because I am getting no spark. Something must be faulty and shorting out at times to do this, but how do I go about finding out a solution?

Jason 1998 Contour SVT 1990 Mustang 262 rwhp, 307 lb-ft 1997 Yamaha FZR 600 Rice Haters Club Member #244 Mustang Works
H
hethj7 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Just a little update. I checked my camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and they are both good. I am heading out to check the coil now.

Jason 1998 Contour SVT 1990 Mustang 262 rwhp, 307 lb-ft 1997 Yamaha FZR 600 Rice Haters Club Member #244 Mustang Works
F
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
F
Pats troubles? Do you use the Pats key/fob by itself? What you describe could be that.
Do you use a Chip? Clean the connection.
CEL?

Paul

Paul 98 Mystique LS 2ea (07/97)(08/98)
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
i have had this problem also no method to the madness. it started at about 50,000 miles and has been there ever since now 141,000 miles. the car was stock when it started and now just has a few mods. prety embaraceing sometimes. but it always starts and runs fine.

blk 1998 svt contour custom paint by taylors house of color sho y pipe and hi flow converter fms 9m wires open element filter and sloted cross drilled roters
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
when starting the car sometimes it doesnt fire up. lol, am i just not turning it over long enough or what? Seems to have started after i got my remote starter/alarm put in

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
H
hethj7 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by F111D F:
Pats troubles? Do you use the Pats key/fob by itself? What you describe could be that.
Do you use a Chip? Clean the connection.
CEL?

Paul

Pats key/fob....I am not sure what you are talking about. My car is completely stock and I have no CEL.

I went ahead and changed the ignition coil yesterday and so far so good, although the problem is so intermittent it may still be there and has just been in hiding the last two days.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
my car does it to but...

I think I found the problem....

THESE CARS ARE HUGE PEICES OF TRASH.... UGH sorry had to vent

Trollin the boards as of 9/23
Originally posted by GS474:
stock hp is never enough

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Here is a test. Next time the car turns but doesn't start, check to see if your power windows & the HVAC blower motor work. If they don't, then your problem is either the ignition relay which is in the fuse box under the dash(about $4.50)or your ignition switch(about $25.00). Most likly the relay would be at fault.

I had the same problem with one of my Contours recently. Once I found the problem(after following the wiring diagrams in the shop manual)I relized that some Contour owners probably took their cars to the dealer for a simple fix and ended up paying for a fuel pump and/or PCM. Atleast that seemed to be what everyone was telling me here on the CEG boards that they had done to their cars to fix the same problem. I knew the fuel pump and pcm wasn't at fault with the symptoms that I had.

I wouldn't change any parts until you actually have the no start problem again(this way you know it is actually fixed). It doesn't hurt to carry a relay in the glove box though. In anycase I hope it works for you.

Al

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
K
K
I have a '98 2.5L w/ 115k miles. I also have had this problem for about the last year. It is very intermittent, no apparent pattern. Pwr windows, HVAC blower work fine. I've had it into the dealer twice, but they cannot find it. Plugs/wires/fuel pump/IAC Valve were also just recently replaced.

HERE IS THE KEY POINT - A Contour owner friend experiencing same problem suggested using Starting Fluid, which had worked for him. I just tried this the last two occurences and it worked both times! I'm no expert - if starting fluid does the trick, then what would that indicate?? At least I have a backup plan rather than being stranded, but I'd like to have wife drive car occasionally and she obviously cannot do this.

Maybe this piece of info will help others, but we need to put our heads together and cure this problem. HELP!!

H
hethj7 Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
H
Since replacing my ignition coil nearly 4 months ago, I have not had any problems. It is weird to think the ignition coil would have intermittent problems, but apparently mine did. I have not had a problem at all since replacing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard