Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
... and if they do, do you want to trade for my set of more-typical larger-pitch chain cams?

I have a set of SVT cams out of a 2000 Contour SVT, with only about 16K on them. (They are essentially perfect).

Only thing is, my 3L of course uses the smaller-pitch timing components as seen in the following two pics.

Anyway... if anyone has a set of smaller-pitch SVT cams, and would like to trade for the larger-pitch ones, I am ready to roll on that transaction.

Thanks!!

Massiv.

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
You do know that when changing to the svt cams, you use the SVT timing parts.....and timing chain....including the timing sproket on the crank......Atleast thats what we did becuase we were worried about the same problem....and i ahve heard of people jumping teeth with in the chain because of it.

That was my understanding form Terry Haines too....that when using the bigger sproket SVT cams, that we should trnasfer ALL of the SVT timing parts to make up for the sproket sizes diffrence..Also the 2.5 liter chain (on most, some are actually smaller) is thincker.

Lupe

3.0 SVT hybrid...all the fixens...Track/Race ready very soon!!!!!! 20,000 + miles
M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Roz 1999 SVT-C:
You do know that when changing to the svt cams, you use the SVT timing parts.....and timing chain....including the timing sproket on the crank......Atleast thats what we did becuase we were worried about the same problem....and i ahve heard of people jumping teeth with in the chain because of it.

That was my understanding form Terry Haines too....that when using the bigger sproket SVT cams, that we should trnasfer ALL of the SVT timing parts to make up for the sproket sizes diffrence..Also the 2.5 liter chain (on most, some are actually smaller) is thincker.

Lupe

Let me tackle those one by one.

-I understand that all timing components must be either ALL large pitch, or ALL small pitch.
-Since my 3L is brand-new, I would like to cut cost, and use the shiny new stuff, that is why I'm looking for smaller-pitch SVT cams to match the rest of the system
-I'm aware that the older 2.5 chains are thicker (looking at the pics I posted), and longer pitch (distance from link pin to link pin I guess).

One confusion created... you mention "SVT sprockets" and such. I was under the impression that the stock 2.5 timing components (i.e. out of my 99 Cougar) and the SVT timing components were exactly the same, so long as the pitch size was the older larger size. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Massiv.

P.S. Do the smaller-pitch SVT cams even exist?

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I think the costs are negligble (sp?) The only thing you need for those cams are chains and a crank gear. Roughly $100....I'd just get the other components and be down with it.

Ryan Trollin!
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Quote:

P.S. Do the smaller-pitch SVT cams even exist?

I REALLY doubt it.

99 SVTC, T-Red, #652/2760-12.8.1998 Mother#@%@!* did I sound abstract? I hope it sounded more confusin than that!
B
Learned patience the hard way
B
Small pitch SVT cams do not exist. The smaller pitch chain came into use after our SVT engines were done being produced. The two timing systems are not interchangeable. To use the larger pitch chains you need to use the SVT cams, chains, tensioners, guides, tensioner arms, and crank sprockets. To use the smaller pitch you must use the 3L cams, chains, tensioners, guides, tensioner arms and crank sprockets. The SVT parts seem to be more heavily constructed and are what I'd recommend, plus you have to use them if you want to retain SVT cams. All new parts are roughly $250 +/- from ford not including the crank sprocket which can be reused as it's not a high wear item. If you're rebuilding the engine, don't use worn parts, you're asking for trouble.

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
ok... Thanks for the decisive reply.

So, new:
-Chains
-Guides
-Sprockets
-Tensioners
-Tensioner Arms

...it is, then.

Done.

Massiv.

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.
B
B
F6RZ-6L253-BA Tensioner Arm need 2
F6DZ-6L266-BA Tensioner need 2
F6DZ-6268-CA Timing Chain- need 2
F8RZ-6K297-AA Chain Guide
F8RZ-6K297-BA Chain Guide

Since I'm feeling generous today

Rick

Owner of 00 #1611 Silver (Totalled) 98.5 T-Red SVT #6180 Buckshot77@msn.com Misc 3L parts for sale
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
If you have a spare or dead 2.5L engine, the guides, tensioners and crank sprockets may be fine, mine were. I did buy a new chain tho.

M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Yeah, I have a 2.5 I can cannibalize from, but I'm taking the "spare no expense" route, it seems.

Would really hate for it to all go wrong. I wonder if tensioners, tensioner arms, and guides are wear components? Probably could re-use those...

Here's an example of "peace of mind" spending:
Clevite rod + mains (cost of these is small compared to the cost of all the bolts to put them in!!!!

I have all this stuff sitting in front of me, and it adds up to about $400-$500, and most of that is the Ford parts! Would almost resell them and skip the whole bottom end build, except for the regular stories of oil-related bearing death... nice to have that extra cushion!!

Anyway... I guess I'll rip up the 2.5 and see what I might be able to re-use.

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. Ryan, how's that 3L going now that you've had it for a bit?

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard