Print Thread
#989775 06/25/04 08:02 PM
M
mi5pal Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I have a 2000 SVT Contour, the problem started a couple of weeks ago. Early in the morning (6:00a) I tried starting the car, and the starter did not even attempt to turn the engine over. I tried the key a couple of times and still nothing. I finally decided to pop the hood, checked the battery & cables, everything looked good. I got back into the car, turned off the radio in case it was putting too much drain on the battery, and it started right up, got to work late though. I assumed it was the battery, but when I checked, the light indicator showed green. It happened a couple of more times during the week so I took it to the dealer since I have an extended warranty. The same thing happened to them, but they claimed they couldn't diagnose the problem because it happened so quickly. They told me the battery & charging system was working fine, but they couldn't do anything to fix the problem unless they found the source of the short. After 3 days of fiddling with my car, the dealer claimed it started to work fine, so I took it back home. It started every day for the past 10 days until today in the morning, and it's my Birthday (that sucks), I eventually got it started and got to work on time, but the problem is still there . What could it be? And how can I convince the dealer to fix it?

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
How about taking your car to Advance Auto Parts and get them to test your battery and alternator?

M
mi5pal Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
The dealer supposedly performed that test, and it was working fine.

R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
The biggest problem I see, is this:

YOU'RE WORKING ON YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!! LOL

j/k..
I would check the battery and Alternator at a pep boyz, or Autozone, or such, so you KNOW its good..

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Why check the alternator and battery if they start the car?

Look for corrosion under the AUX box. Starter relay wiring in particular.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
This is a guess right out of left field. But. When I bought my car the dealer talked about some sort of proximity deal with the ignition key and the switch... Try the spare key.

A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
I had the same problem a couple of months ago I thought the same thing and I ended up buying a new battery. Then it started again just like you every time I tried to start it in the morning it wouldnt start, anyway to make a long story short. I ended up changing the coil pack, under Ford's recomendation, and at the end it turned out to be the starter... I cant say that is whats going on with your car but give a try.

98.5 Silver CSVT 93 Black TBird SC
M
mi5pal Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
Thanks alot guys, I will check out all of these recommendations, it's more than what the Ford dealer offered. Even the 'key proximity' idea makes sense, I know they are supposed to have some sort of chip which changes a starting code every time you start it, and the dealer has abused my original key, bending it and all.

P.S. Oh and by the way, I had to work on my B-Day, my students took finals and grades we're due Monday (Today).

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard