Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I found this on the Audiovox website:

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=12828&langId=-1

It's the P956G and:

1)Looks normal with a clean layout (no curvy swoopy crap)

2)Has green illumination (switchable to amber)

3)Has CD changer controls (likely uses the Sanyo protocol)

I couldn't find a price for it though. It apparently came out last summer based on the date on the manual.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T

Kenwood KDC-S3009

That's what I got. Doesn't look flashy. It's only six years old, too! Buy some used stuff, mang

Tempe

B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
I have had the WORST luck with buying used car stereo equipment on Ebay. Several head units and a CD changer:

One was not packed right and therefore damaged in shipping (dopey seller says "Just make an insurance claim". Yea right, should I lie for you when they asked if it was packed right?).

Another one..same deal, not packed right, damaged in shipping. That was a CD changer.

Another one, apparently the guy was selling the head unit for a friend of his girlfriends, who tried PRYING IT OUT OF HER DASH to remove it. Damaged beyond repair, she cracked a circuit board. Instead of checking if the thing worked after she removed it, he just threw it in a box and sent it on it's merry way...the damage was obvious.

Another one, it worked but started cutting out when the volume control was turned up. I (carefully) took it apart and found a black charred spot on the circuit board where a transistor used to be.

All of those except the first one I was able to get a refund on, and the first one I fixed because the problem was that both backlight bulbs were dead (I guess a head unit can only smack into the side of the box so many times before the filaments in the bulbs just disintigrate).

After all of this CRAP, I'm just buying new from now on. Sure I got a refund on most of it, but there's probably $30-$40 in shipping charges among all of that which didn't get refunded.

Apparently, it is asking way too much of the typical Ebay seller to:

1)Verify that the thing works
2)Remove it from the dash without wrecking it
3)Package it so that it won't be damaged in shipping

Oh, I forgot the mention the one where the seller never sent the item. That's $45 down the hole. Didn't even have the satisfaction of leaving negative feedback because the seller went NARU.

Last edited by brianl703; 06/24/04 08:44 PM.
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Sorry that it ended up being a rant about Ebay

C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
I have got this one if you are interested, PM me.

Kenwood KDC-2023
$80.00 + $10 Shipping

General Features
- TDF (Theft Deterrent Faceplate)
- Multicolour LCD with White LED Backlight
- Key Illumination (Green)
- Built in Fuse and Choke Coil
- Remote Sensor for Optional Remote Control Unit

Audio Features
- Maximum Output Power: 50W x 4
- 1 Preout
- System Q: Sound Control with Pre-programmed Tone Curves
- Separate Bass/Mid range/Treble Control and Source Tone Memory
- AUX Input with Optional Unit (CA-C1AX or KCA-S210A)
- Fader & Loudness Control
- Attenuator (-20dB) with Smooth Volume Return

Single CD Features
- CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
- Random/Repeat Play

Changer Control Features
- Dual Disc Changer Control Capability (CH1/CH2 & AUX)
- Random/Repeat/Scan Play (Disc/Track)

Tuner Features
- FM/AM 24 Station Presets (18FM, 6AM)
- AME (Automatic Memory Entry)
- Up/Down Seek Tuning
- Selectable Channel Spacing

Chris Carr92 SHO MTX~99 Taurus SE~95 Contour SE "Be good. If you cant be good, be careful. If you cant be careful, name it after me. Anonymous"
T
Highly Medicated Member
Highly Medicated Member
T
Just curious, why not a NAK? I've had 3. Sold each to move up alevel and have beeen happy, very happy, with each one. Again,just curious.

Semper Fi "They've got us surrounded. Poor bastards." -Chesty
M
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
M

02 Mustang GT... Tuned by Nelsons. Low 12's, anyone? .....______ ___|______\_____ |/-\_________/-\_| .\_/...............\_/
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Trapps:
Just curious, why not a NAK? I've had 3. Sold each to move up alevel and have beeen happy, very happy, with each one. Again,just curious.

I started with a 35z... that was before CD-R's were popular. As soon as my collection became more cdr's then pressed cd's... it had to go since it didn't play them very well. Nak's don't like any scratches on cd's and i'm sorry, but all my cd's have atleast 1 small one. I can't stand the skipping. My eclipse plays them all. But back to the topic, nak's do look the most stock with their green colors. If they had one with 5v preouts, aux in, sub control, cdr support for under 400$, i'd consider getting another.

D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
i have a pretty simple kenwood and it looks pretty stock

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 1992 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8 E4OD 1998 Contour GL 2.5 CD4E 2001 Montero Sport Limited 3.5 Auto 2002 IS300 3.0 Auto See My Cars
B
Veteran CEG\'er
OP Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
B
If I were going to spend that kind of money on a head unit I think I'd get the Harmon-Kardon TrafficPro for $499, rather than the Nak. The TrafficPro, as it's name indicates, has built-in navigation. It fits in a single-DIN slot and looks stock like the Nak does.

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard