Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RyeLou Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I rolled my ankle playing softball today. Was thrown out at 2nd base for the 3rd out of the inning, so I went to slow down my run and when I put my foot on the base it rolled to the outside. I heard it pop, as did the 2nd baseman and the short stop, so I thought for sure it was broke. By the time I was on the ground and looked at my ankle it was the size of a softball. Ended up goin to the hospital to find out it wasn't broken thankfully, but its a really severe sprain. I've played sports for forever basically, but never had a sprained ankle this bad. Holy [censored] it hurts. Almost as bad as when I had knee surgery, but not quite. Just felt like bitching cuz I have nothing else to do for at least the next day.

'03 SRT-4 50 trim turbo + support
A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
that sucks man, I hope you get better soon. I have never sprained anything (thankfully) but Ive broken two fingers while skating. Broke one of them at the growth plate, THAT freakin hurt. Probibly not as bad as your ankle hurts though.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
R
RyeLou Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Yeah I've heard sprains hurt more than a break, assuming you aren't conscious if they have to set it...oh jeez that sounds horrible. Anyhow, I've broken some fingers and knuckles but it doesn't compare to this. I don't know how it would compare to a broken ankle or leg, but I'm glad the down time won't be as bad. It's only pain though, mind over matter.

G
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Summer 96, I severely sprained my left ankle playing basketball. Came down, rolled and heard a pop. Swelled up instantly. Soft cast and crutches for several weeks, then rehab.

October 03, I broke my right ankle when I fell from a ladder. Foot instantly went numb and swelled up. The pain kicked in about 3 minutes later. Almost passed out from the pain several times. Drove myself to the hospital - 2 nights, 3 days and 2 scres later, I was in a cast and crutches for about 4 weeks, then boot for about 4 weeks.

I can tell you right now that the pain of a broken ankle is much, much worse. I was on much heavier medication (morphine, morphine, morphine) with the broken ankle and rehab is taking much longer. It's been 9 months and the ankle is still swollen and nowhere near 100%.

But I've been told by doctors, nurses and physical therapy people for the long term, a bad sprain is worse - the ankle never being the same - tendons get stretched, muscles damaged, etc. Whereas with a break, the bone heals and ankle will be the virtually the same.

I haven't had enough time to confirm this yet, but I can tell you that the sprained ankle does not have the range of motion I used to have.

Good luck with rehab.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Ooof, sorry to hear that. Must be a softball thing, because I injured myself last Thursday playing softball in a league with a bunch of co-workers. I was also headed to 2nd base, but slid in normally, feet first, but slowed down too late, and dropped really fast and hard, came down on my hand, was tagged, but didn't realize it until I got up. Well, after my team had taken the field (I was the 2nd out, so not longer after) my right wrist started hurting. I removed my batting glove and inspected it and all, it seemed alright, just figured it was a sprain. I went ahead and went and got some ice, blah blah. Long story short, i've been to the doctor a couple times since Thursday, and was diagnosed with a broken/fractured/cracked wrist, whatever you wanna call it. I learned recently, that upon reviewing the X-rays, my doctor seems to think I might have broken more than 1 bone in my wrist, so he's sending me in this Thursday for a CT scan so he can see exactly. I'll get my cast on Tuesday morning definitely. I'm basically just waiting to go in and get the CT done, so I know how many bones I've broken, and which ones. Either way, I'll get the cast, and will have it on for 'bout 6 weeks. If I'm lucky, I can catch the last 2 weeks-worth of softball games in the season. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
sprained my ankle so many times i've lost count, i have a natural ankle brace bc it's been swollen so many times. i've been skateboarding for 4 years and when i'd roll it i'd be out for a week or maybe two, now if i do it's 5-10 minutes, but yea my ankle isn't the same as it used to be.

Official CEG troll. '04 Mazda 3
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Quote:

I've played sports for forever basically, but never had a sprained ankle this bad.

You're getting old!

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
R
RyeLou Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Quote:

I've played sports for forever basically, but never had a sprained ankle this bad.

You're getting old!

Sad part is I'm only 20 and one half years old. The ER used to know me by first name when I played for my travel soccer team. Being top 4 in the state takes its toll on the body. A kid I play with called me after our games to see how I was doing. He told me he has sprained his ankle three times now. I didn't realize it something that leads to future problems. Not real happy about that. I wish I would have broken it almost if that's the case. Does wearing an ankle brace when you play sports help prevent this? Just curious if there is anything I can do once this heals...if it ever really heals?

N
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
N
dont feel bad, the same thing happened to me...except that i fell down our wooden stairs onto a stone floor and rolled my ankle badly. i ended up crawling over to my dad (a doctor..yeah he ended up helping, he thought i was faking it- seriously! )
it swelled up huge, and it wasnt broken. this was like 2 months ago, and its still swollen a bit. basically im still recovering...i recently started to try to run on it, and i htink its ok...just doesnt feel the same ...i hope it goes back to normal..

1998 T-Red CSVT 3.0L
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
Ironically for this forum, your best bet is RICE!

R-est
I-ce
C-ompression
E-levation

Sounds like a grade 2 or even a grade 3- full tear. Sounds like it's time for you to just lounge around doing nothing- "...but honey, I CAN'T mow the lawn/take out the garbage/rearrange our furniture.... I SURE could use a beer, though!"

When you finally get back to full-weight-bearing, get yourself a McDavid "Active Ankle" for your more athletic endeavors.... These can be had at any large sporting goods place.

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard