Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

The PCM IS PROGRAMMED for them to be active, installed, and used properly. If you mess with any of those things and DO NOT change the tuning your are proving nothing other then the fact YOU NEED CHIP TUNING...

...which is a GIVEN from the beginning anyway.

Ah hell this is just easier...

ALWAYS USE THE IMRC.
NEVER TAKE IT OUT.
YOU CAN NEVER MAKE ANY PERFORMANCE WITH IT MISSING!

Apparantly then, I don't have any clue about what an IMRC is. It is my understanding it opens up the secondary runners on the split port manifold at or around 3500 RPM.

If my understanding is incorrect, I am sorry. But being that I'm talking about a car that doesn't have a split port manifold Duratec 3L, like a Ford Escape or a Mazda 6, I wouldn't think that I would have a PCM [that] IS PROGRAMMED for them to be active, installed, and used properly. Am I wrong? I'm not talking about a Contour PCM.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
But a complete ECU replacement such as I-Speed's Hydra EMS would allow you to program it as such, in all hopes. I too am in search to understand what this IMRC is, mechanical? Electronic? Operated in digital or analog in which it could easily be controlled by controlling the voltage going to it?

Like Nuggs said, this is no Contour we are trying to gather info about. It's an oval-port 3.0 VVT in the Mazda6, so throwing a chip at it is not an option due to A) Two different cars, two different ECUs and B) The CAN-protocol of the ECU.

Driving the Caliber Side project: The LT-5 Fiero is being born..
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
You folks should definitely do a little research because you don't seem to know even the basics of operation.

With that said if you DO NOT have an IMRC to begin and ARE NOT working on a CDW-27 platform to begin with then why even ask about it?
Much less post about it on a Contour site???

Just to "hypothetically" use a maximum Extrude Honed split port UIM and RLIM.

Why go to all the time, effort, and money. Just build yourself a custom intake manifold for your application.
I am sure it would be easier in the long run and should definitely give better results if designed properly.

Either way you COULD NOT run the IMRC because there are no provisions for it in the engine harness or PCM code of said non CDW-27 car.

Now you are confusing...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
So you're thinking about using a 2.5 upper and lower manifold on a mazda or escape engine that has/had no secondaries, right?

My thoughts - remove the butterflies and the rods from the LIM, fill appropriate holes, match heads to LIM, enjoy. The PCM wont be looking for secondaries to open or close since it never had secondaries anyway. I wouldn't expect any loss in power down low, but I can't be sure of that. The engine/pcm might not be tuned for so much airflow at low rpms.

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
You folks should definitely do a little research because you don't seem to know even the basics of operation.

With that said if you DO NOT have an IMRC to begin and ARE NOT working on a CDW-27 platform to begin with then why even ask about it?
Much less post about it on a Contour site???

Just to "hypothetically" use a maximum Extrude Honed split port UIM and RLIM.

Why go to all the time, effort, and money. Just build yourself a custom intake manifold for your application.
I am sure it would be easier in the long run and should definitely give better results if designed properly.

Either way you COULD NOT run the IMRC because there are no provisions for it in the engine harness or PCM code of said non CDW-27 car.

Now you are confusing...

GreenNuggs and I are doing extensive research, I have read many interesting and informative posts on this forum, front to back and now comes the time for questions, things that were not clear to us just through passive research.

Why post here? Because here are some of the most informed Duratec pioneers, we look up to all of you, there is alot of common ground to be had here in the platforms.

Why go through all that? We are doing this to supply this to our community so a large mass can have a single common set of parts to get gains from. How many sheet metal intakes will be exactly the same? Post the same dyno numbers? Using a pre-made part such as the SVT UIM/LIM would allow common gains, common performance, commonly had. We have access to vendors that could fabricate and mass produce the adapters for oval to split port like you talked about in another thread Demon.

There was no provision for a Greddy eManage ignition hookup to a Tour, but I found one site a couple of months back in which it was overcome. Nothing is impossible, especially when your working with a complete replacement, completely programmable ECU.

Driving the Caliber Side project: The LT-5 Fiero is being born..
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
If your looking for a custom manifold for a Escape give me a PM I might be able to help you out. I'm building a Escape motor for my tour and I'm having a custom manifold done.

David Zambrano tuner@slicktuning.com CSVT E1 #4808 You get what you pay for. All advice here is free. http://www.slicktuning.com -my homepage
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by Derk2000:
So you're thinking about using a 2.5 upper and lower manifold on a mazda or escape engine that has/had no secondaries, right?

My thoughts - remove the butterflies and the rods from the LIM, fill appropriate holes, match heads to LIM, enjoy. The PCM wont be looking for secondaries to open or close since it never had secondaries anyway. I wouldn't expect any loss in power down low, but I can't be sure of that. The engine/pcm might not be tuned for so much airflow at low rpms.

This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks. The only problem now is finding the SVT intake. But this may or may not be as cost effective as what David is suggesting. I actually have a split 95 SE intake in my backyard that we could use to see what fitment problems would be like, but it would be pointless to actually use it on the car.

Actually David Z, its a Mazda 6. I'm not the one looking for one though. I'm just researching into possiblities. A ballpark cost figure might be nice, but other than that, I'm not in the market for it as of yet.

Demon, I believe it was you that said a properly ported SVT UIM/LIM outflows a 3L intake (especially considering we have that plastic one), this is why we were looking into it. I suppose the reason we don't get a custom one done is the same reason you guys don't, $$$. Thats not to say we've ruled it out, just looking at the options. And the "research" I've been doing has been searching and reading this site for the past two years to get a handle on things, which I will thank you for the wealth of knowledge. Be that as it may, I tried to make my intentions clear in my original post. It was obvious I either failed to do that or you failed to read the thread and missed my caveat (not that I can necessarily blame you due to the frustration factor.) So all I was looking for was an answer to the question that Derk provided. Thanks.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
The 10 degrees of timing the ECU adds when the secondaries open has a little to do with that spike in the dyno graph.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I have a SVT UIM that I don't need.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by GreenNuggs:

This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
So all I was looking for was an answer to the question that Derk provided. Thanks.

You're welcome. *takes a bow*

Derek Scion xB 5-spd Previous: 2000 Silver Frost SVT Please share the road with cyclists.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard