Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
My breaks are squeaking occasionally so the wife took the car into a shop to get it checked out. She came back with a $600 estimate that included break, rotor and caliper replacements.

That seems a bit pricey for my liking although I have not yet priced out all the parts. I only use this car for commuting and an occasional vacation.

I'm tempted to do this myself but what do I need to look for to confirm that the calipers or rotors need to be replaced?

A friend suggested that I just replace the pads.

Any suggestions?

'97 Zetec +100k of SoCal Freeways New deck but otherwise modless '85 Mustang LX Convertible +200k of Cali Freeways Still Runnin' outlyr242@yahoo.com
P
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
P
Unless the calipers are leaking, they do not need to be replaced. 600 is a fair price if all this work was necessary, but I don't beleive that it is. Make sure they're not leaking and the sliders are moving freely, slap a set of pads on it and machine or replace the rotors. You'll be into it for $150-$200 and If you use good pads, it won't squeek.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Another brake shop raping someone. Imagine that.
Get Stazi's brake kit stickied. 4 new rotors and pads and install yourself. It's not hard.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by todras:
Another brake shop raping someone. Imagine that.
Get Stazi's brake kit stickied. 4 new rotors and pads and install yourself. It's not hard.

I went into a Midas once (and only ONCE!) to get my brakes checked. Their "inspection" was so destructive I wouldn't have been able to drive the car away.

Which is one of the reasons I am glad I now have a place to work on the car myself.

2000 Contour SE Sport Originator of the Beowulf Headlight Mod and the Beowulf CAI
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Stazi's brake package is your best bet. (Well under half that estimate IIRC)

Make sure to lube the pins and sticky the backs of the pads too. That always ensures proper operation and less noise.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If the brakes are working fine and noise is the only noticable problem, the first thing I'd do is grease the backs of the pads. If components do need to be replaced, as all the others said, Stazi's kit is your best bet.

"...first he's gonna s*!t, then he's gonna kill us." 1999 Contour SVT Retrojunk.com
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
if the "calipers are leaking" then the brake fluid resevoir would indicate that by being low correct

A
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
A
brakes are easy to do, especiall disc brakes, the parts are cheep, they just take a while to get all aligned right and everything.

98 Corolla LE 1.8L DOHC 1ZZFE TEIN H.Tech Springs Tokico HP series Struts Short ram air intake Tsudo Axel Back Exhaust ... if a jelly fish stung me.. would you pee on the wound?
H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
what kind of grease for the backs of the pads and slide pin?

Hugo AIM:omegazodiac 95 gl & 99 contour svt #1750/2760 my profile pics stuff for sale
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
CRC disk brake quiet

99 Mystique LS T-Red ATX Duratec Mods: Hella stereo Mods K & N air filter w/intake pipe www.sounddomain.com/id/jongordo8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard