Next Thread
Print Thread
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Well-

I am finally getting the ticking noise my car is producing checked out next week. My wife drove it up to the garage that we deal with and the guy stated, well its either internal or its an exhuast leak... It gets louder when the car heats up so to me it seems like an exhuast leak to me..

Any rate about 30000 miles ago ford replaced the front header under the emisions warranty... The pre cats went on it so they tried to get me to pay $1200.oo for the part until I reminded the DEALER themselves of the emisions warranty... Unbelieable.... Any rate.. The slight ticking or leaking noise became noticable about a year later... Could it be that maybee it needed to be re tightended? The bolts on the header that they intstalled? Or maybee a new gasket? I am totally refusing to shell out $1200 for another front header if this one is cracked or shot...

What are my other options for the car.. Aftermaket headers? But I want all the emisions stuff to remain so it passes... Can anyone offer me any help on prices and web site links that they have used in the past... I feel as though what I am paying for one header for the car from ford I can replace them both with after market pieces.. Oh yeah it is the V6, sorry about leaving that out...

Thanks for your ideas and help..
Spankey

Last edited by Spankey; 06/04/04 11:46 AM.
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
If you want to remain legal & pass a VISUAL inspection or cold start up emissions test, you'll need stock exhaust manifolds. You may be able to find a set on these boards for FAR LESS than dealer prices - if it comes to that. I suspect your problem is most likely a gasket or loose header bolts, IF it's your exhaust.

ASSUMING YOUR MANIFOLDS NEED REPLACING...
If your emissions check does not include a cold start-up or visual, you have your choice of products and your car will still pass a warm engine sniffer test with the main cat alone:

1. You can get "mystery modded" manifolds from buckshotmotorsports.com and have them installed. The manifolds sell for about $80 a SET. There is a core charge that will be refunded to you when your manifolds are returned to buckshot.

2. You can pick up a set of aftermarket MSDS performance headers for about $650 and have those installed.

Good luck & welcome to CEG!!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
Thanks-

I will keep that site in mind... $80.00 a pop is better than the dealers $1200. I will also try to get ahold of Bill Jenkins. He might be able to get a better price new than I can localy.
I just pray its minor like you stated a gasket or bolt... Gosh I pray....

Thanks again for the info...

Spankey

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
No reason to pay $1200 for a part you don't need.. even getting one at a Bill Jenkins price will still be a whole lot more than you should be spending.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah man if anything go with the MSDS headers for around $650. If thats still too much, have Rick gut you a set of stock manifolds. There is no point in gonig back to pre-cat, especially for $1200

RamMotorsports Lowest prices on SPEC Clutches and Flywheels
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
ok now let me get this straight, if I go with the msds headers, will I still be able to pass emisions? Thats my only concern???

And is that $650 for the both of them, or $650 for one header...

Will any garage bolt these on I wonder? Or will they give me a stink????

Thanks
Spankey

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Spankey:
ok now let me get this straight, if I go with the msds headers, will I still be able to pass emisions? Thats my only concern???

And is that $650 for the both of them, or $650 for one header...

Will any garage bolt these on I wonder? Or will they give me a stink????

Thanks
Spankey

$650 for both I think. From what I've heard, you can still pass emissions.

The Spickle New Car: Infra Red '04 FSVT Former Car: Black '98 CSVT, #3137/6535 "The Unluckiest car.. ever"

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard