Print Thread
#969399 06/02/04 05:31 PM
M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
I have a 99 V6 MTX with 137,000km on it (85,000mi).

I was driving normally today when suddenly I had a lot of trouble changing gears. I was able to force it into gear a couple of times, but it was quite difficult. Then I stopped trying, and nursed it in second. When I would come to a light and engage the clutch on my way to my car's resting place (for now), the engine would slow below idle, as though I had not engaged the clutch. Then as I stopped the the light, with the engine almost dying from drag, it suddenly seemed like it kicked out of gear (but it did not, it was still in the gear), and there was an un-nerving WHIRRRRRRRR sound coming from under the hood, like gears that are not totally meshed and breaking things. When I dis-engaged the clutch to get rolling, no problem. Noise was gone, and I could go. Kept it in second the whole time as I was mostly unable to switch gears and didn't want to force it. The clutch is not slipping, rather, it seems SUDDENLY to not be disengaging.

It seems like ignernt on NECO had the exact same problem when he wrote:

Quote:

Originally posted by: ignernt on NECO
Here's the dealio...

A couple weeks ago OrangeCat drove my car and complained about the clutch feeling weird. Of course i didn't think anything of it because i've never had to have a clutch replaced.

So here i am today... busted cellphone to take back and 75 degrees so i figure i'll take the Cougar out of the garage. I get out of my neighborhood and go down the road toward a stop light and i'm about to downshift from 4th to 2nd and for some reason it just won't go into the gate... like how reverse is locked out when you're going forward. When i got to a complete stop it went right into first. So about 2-3 miles down the road i come to another stop light, and put it into neutral. When it turned green and i pressed the clutch and put it into first the car stalled. i got it to restart, but then couldn't get it back into gear. So i ended up pushing my Cougar across the opposing travel lanes and into a vacant lot. When i started trying to figure out the problem i noticed that i could put the car in gear only with the car off, but once i started it and tried shifting gears with the car running it would drop out of gear but wouldn't engage another. Realizing that there's no way i could get the car towed without about ripping off my front bumper and valences i figured i'd try to get it home. Put it into second and got it home. Had one hell of a time at the stop signs, but luckily there wasn't much traffic.

The problem was nicely summarized by Mtang4Life on NECO, when he wrote:

Quote:

Originally posted by: Mtang4life
ok, Correct me if Im wrong. This is what it sounds like you are saying

1 the car has a hard time engaging gears when moving using the clutch.

2 The car stalls at idle (stopped) if you are pushing in the clutch and it is in gear.

3 Odd noise

Ok, do you have a problem shifting through the gears when the car is off? like just parked? Is your brake fluid/clutch fluid low at all? do you see any visible leaks around any of the clutch hydraulic lines?

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Im not wondering if you have a leaking line or slave cylinder or even air in the lines. This would create all of the problems that It seems to me you are having. I have a hard time believing that it is a syncro problem like some people sugjested in the other thread, but it is difficult to diagnose a problem over a computer.

The difference in my case on point #2, is that my car doesn't stall. It wants to, then suddenly makes the unnerving WHIRRRRR sound of gears trying, and failing, to mesh together, and slapping teeth....

Unfortunately, I cannot find an answer on the forums!

Right now the car is at the stealership... I just dropped it off in their lot as I needed a place to leave it. It is unlikely that I will use their services, and will probably pick it up tomorrow, and limp it over to my parent's place as they have a garage, and I do not.

Bad timing on this!! I was going to undertake a full trans rebuild and 3L swap soon, but if I have to fix this first to get rolling, I'll be duplicating my efforts!! In the meantime, I'm rolling tight in a rented 2005 Corolla. (Surprisingly peppy! So why do they drive so slow all the time and get in my way constantly?).

I think I might negotiate a long-term loan on a car so I can start my project, but if this is a quick fix, would like to do the project on MY terms instead!

Tonight, I will do the following:

1. Check, bleed, replace trans/brake fluid.
2. Check to ensure cables attached to shift tower, and shift tower appropriately secured
3. Check to ensure cables attached to transmission properly.

Anyone have an idea on what this might be?? Knowledgeable assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Massiv.

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
First of all, the clutch is engaged by spring pressure. You have to push the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch.

When the clutch is disengaged, is is held there by the throwout bearing which is spinning. If the throwout bearing goes bad it will make noise while spinning. If it is severely damaged it may not push the clutch in far enough to fully disengage it.

Throwout bearings normally last a long time. They tend to wear out prematurely on people who rest their foot on the clutch pedal when the engine is running but not in gear, or when the slave cylinder travel is not correct (no freeplay).

If this is the problem, a new throwout bearing may be enough. Normally though, I would want to replace the pressure plate and slave cylinder too.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
M
Massiv Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
M
Thanks for your suggestion.

Found the cause of the problem today. This issue catalyzed my 3L project which is now 40% complete.

Wanted to follow up this post for future searchers that may experience the same thing:

FYI, I believe I could've seen this if I had actually used a light and looked into the dustcover on the bellhousing. With a small inspection mirror, it would've been possible to diagnose this issue. With a magnet, possibly to have fixed it.

Massiv.

1999 Mercury Cougar V6.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard