Next Thread
Print Thread
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
1998 Mystique V6 MTX with 93,901 miles

After getting so close to having my old struts out and having to abort and put everything back on, MY CAR WON'T START! When I turn the key I here the starter motor going but the engine won't. I tried pushing the gas but all I got was white smoke from the exhaust after the car revved a bit but it didn't sound like the engine was really running. Here is some possibly useful info:

When I was pressing the calipers back in I forgot to take the cap off the brake fluid reservoir and fluid leaked out from the lid.

I may have had the car in gear while turning the hub backwards, would this do something bad like reverse compress...?

I had the car up on two jackstands on the front and it was tipped up like that for the better part of two days

Other than that I did only what would be required for the strut/spring howto and replacing the front brakes so I can't see why I would be having this problem. What a disaster! Please tell me there is something stupid and easy-to-fix that I did when messing with the suspension that would be causing this.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
First thing I would check is to see if you are getting gas to the engine. Turn the key on, but "not" to the start(crank) position. You should be able to hear the pump run for about 2-3 seconds as it primes the fuel rail. Then check the Schrader valve up by the throttle body to see if fuel comes out. Use a rag to catch the gas and watch out for your eyes, wear goggles. Is the starter turning the engine over fast enough?

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
The pump is working since I can hear it, I haven't yet checked the schrader valve since I'll have to learn how to do that (I'm sure its easy).

I wish I knew how to tell whether its turning fast enough, but since I don't I can only guess that it is. I sounds identical to how it would sound if the engine were going to start for the first half second and then it just keeps cranking with no result. Thanks for all of your help these past few days eepals, you're a lifesaver.

Darren '98 Mystique LS -Duratec, MTX Nakamichi CD-40z, Knauberized, KKM tru rev intake, 9MM Motorsport Wires, SVT Springs/Struts
E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
Its probably cranking fine. Just was wondering if the batteries charge is getting low. You just unscrew the cap and depress the needle on the schrader valve to release the fuel. It is just like a cars tire valve. Did you check to see if you're getting spark to the plugs?

T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
IIRC there is a fuel shot off on these cars. May want to check that out.

Yipper, just verified with Haynes. It's located in the front left foot wall.

Last edited by TOURing; 05/31/04 08:13 PM.

____________________ 96 GL Sport 2.0L Zetec ATX Custom Focus Intake MSD Blaster DIS Coil ____________________
D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
My trip odometer says 224 miles. Thats roughly where my car should start to say empty or close to it. Do you think its possible that my having the car tipped nose up at that angle for two days would have drained out the fuel pump enough that it would have nothing left. Now with the car level there may not be enough fuel left to replenish what drained out in the first place. This is just a crazy idea I'm having. I just don't see how I could have done anything to it and there were zero problems starting the car before I tried to change the suspension. It would start on the first crank like a brand new car. The battery and alternator are less than a year old. I'm going to check the schrader valve right now.....

and I get fuel out of the schrader valve. I just let a tiny bit come out though, was I supposed to be checking while the ignition was on or off or what?

Last edited by Darren G; 05/31/04 09:33 PM.

D
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
D
Update!! It lives! I'm thinking my half-@ss theory was right. After sitting for 12 or so hours level again, the car decides to start. I'm thinking that the fuel pump went dry and need some time to refill or whatever it is that it does. Now if I could only figure out why the plastic piece on the top of the stut tower won't seat back into place....

Thanks to all who tried to lend a helping hand

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard