Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
I
I
Saw the thing myself. Still a long way to go to, and so far the road leads to ricer country. There will be no sleeper turbo contour. I saw the way the turbo was setup, and stock effects aren't happening. Thing's fast as all hell, though I strongly worry about the tranny they have in there. Bulldog box by Haines will be needed. Other thing, a double fin?!? Gag me. That fin doesn't belong on a countour. Give Delta back their plane. And yellow! Why must there always be yellow?!? Sigh. Do the setup with some class to the contour and I'll be a lot happier myself. Right now I look at it and say "Wow, the Honda Civic, type Contour."... *blam*

Words of wisdom...
-I'm too old for this sh*t.
-Dirty jews have well laundered money.

My car: Alyssa
1997 Cadillac Eldorado
Silver w/ Black half top
Ravin mufflers
Modified airbox and MAF
Rockford Fosgate 258 Watt multi channel Amp
Rockford Fosgate 9300X Punch Headunit, MP3 disc, with 8 CD changer.
Pair of 12" Boss 250W speakers in an oversized box
14.730 sec @ 95.79 mph in overdrive.
DYNO! 236.2 FW STD Horsepower
292.8 FW STD torque
G
G
As I was looking again,
Hats off to them for doing something to make a turbo... They DEFINATELY need to change that intercooler piping(looks like part of an endpost off of a chain link fence!!)They also might want to adjust the sensitivity of the blow off valve(or actually just plumb it back into the intake tract with a CBV, like the Bosche ones on a Porsche Twin Turbo.. so you dont get the big WHEEEEZE-BANG!! but it will run better.... that stalling is due to the loss of metered air when the BOV hits, it appears that they are venting to the atmosphere, and well, there goes some of the air that your EEC is sending signals to pulse the injectors accordingly....
Sned those guys a Corky Bell Book "Maximum Boost", and after they read it, I bet they DEFINATELY would have one sweet ride on thier hands(its like nutra-sweet now.. who needs that artificial crap.. give me SUGAR!!!! laugh )
But I do give these guys some props(not alot... and hardly any for the guy who gave his car to a bunch of guys who obviously dont have the knowledge(basic forced induction theory, intercooler design(how are they going to get air t that behind a bumper cover??) turbo sizing, BOV vs. CBV,relocation of the Fuse block to WAY tooo close to the turbo exhaust housing, etc....) or tools(heck.. anyone hear of mandrel bends)) for having the gonads to at least try it...
oh well back to work... happy turboing!

(Edit to appear not so harsh...Towards the owner or the shop... I didn't mean to offend anyone if i did..) I think its a good Idea that people are willing to try new things and go along the seldom traveled path, just if something goes wrong, or good with this car, I hope everyone on the list doesn't take it to be the end all be all... thats all... sorry I got on a rant earlier... shocked

Tony Blatnica
99 Contour SE-Sport 2.5ATX
SVT Exhaust - Removed resonator
TH-Fix
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
STD power ratings are not true ratings...

The graph should state SAE on the sides.

STD ratings are significantly higher than SAE or actual... (For ref - my STD HP was around 200!)

Can we see an SAE graph please!

Put a cork in it. Why isn't STD a true rating? It is just a different correction factor. For your information, STD is roughly 2-4 percent higher than the SAE(there, you can figure out what the SAE rating is); the only difference between the two are how the ideal barometric pressure and temperature are calculated to. So there goes your significantly higher theory; and why would it be higher than actual rating if the correction factor is below 1? Man, I understand you have a nice ride but stop either following what other has to say or post some misleading info. Let the flames begin.

98 cobra
12.60@108.06 NA
12.38@113.07 75 shot
G
G
That looks awesome! Congrats to the shop for going through with this. Seems like there is still some work ahead but you gotta give them props for sticking with it.....so far! laugh

B
B
ok. 3 questions:

1) What happnens when you hit a bump, go to McDonalds, or (heaven forbid) hit a POTHOLE?

2) How would the intake fair if you hit a big puddle or heavy rain?

3) I like the extra guage on the dash (the yellow SUCKS, btw), will you be selling that guage setup?

1998 E0 SVT #3128, T-Red

2001 Infiniti G20t
1974.5 MG B GT
A
A
Its Hugo's car....

I sold Hugo the Sparco Strut tower... But Hugo had 20 inch rims on the car before... Wonder if he sold it.

If anyone sees or talks to Hugo tell him I said hi

Al Tubinas
(Former FL-CEG president)

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by baco99:
ok. 3 questions:

1) What happnens when you hit a bump, go to McDonalds, or (heaven forbid) hit a POTHOLE?

2) How would the intake fair if you hit a big puddle or heavy rain?

3) I like the extra guage on the dash (the yellow SUCKS, btw), will you be selling that guage setup?
Perhaps the AEM Bypass Valve?

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
H
H
I'm just glad to see that they're putting in work and sharing the initial numbers, it's not like they're trying to sell the turbo in it's current form to us. I'm sure they'll be able to clean everything up.

G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Tubinas:
Its Hugo's car....

I sold Hugo the Sparco Strut tower... But Hugo had 20 inch rims on the car before... Wonder if he sold it.

If anyone sees or talks to Hugo tell him I said hi

Al Tubinas
(Former FL-CEG president)
hi

laugh hahaha - i still can't believe that there are 3 Hugo's on this board! (or the fl. hugo used to be on this board.)

R
Administrator
Administrator
R
I'm glad somebody has a working setup, but it kinda pains me to see someone go through all that trouble, and not pay attention to the basics, and do a little bit of homework beforehand to get things sized properly. It really seems as if this setup was done on the spur of the moment with stuff that was just sitting around. That turbo and the intercooler are just too large for the airflow required by the 2.5L at only 6 psi, it may be better suited for more like 16-20 psi on that engine, though that would require a completely custom bottom end and trans to handle the resulting power.

oh, and goodwin, I hate to argue semantics, but the fact that there is nothing before 4400 rpm is not turbo LAG, but is a function of the boost threshold. Boost threshold is the minimum rpm where appreciable boost is made, lag is the time it takes (while cruising above the boost threshold) for the turbo to spool up when the throttle is opened up. Boost threshold is really a matter of how well the overall turbo is sized, both the compressor and turbine sides. Lag is mostly (though not all) a function of turbine sizing.

Also previously mentioned, is that the BOV NEEDS to be vented back into the intake tract rather than to atmosphere. This is most definately causing the stalling problem, as the air has already been metered by the MAF sensor, and the engine is expecting it. Also, I would move the MAF sensor further up that section of straight pipe, and be sure to have a flow straghtening screen in front of it, this would give more accurate and consistant readings of the actual airflow into the engine, allowing the PCM ot better control fuel delivery. also, the a/f ratio curve looks like the swiss alps, this is a bad thing, especially those 2 very lean peaks. This setup is in dire need of a proper recalibrated chip using the stock PCM's load based table setup, this is the best way of ensuring proper fuel delivery (and a/f ratio) under all conditions (any rpm and boost condition possible) I would be interested to know the changes to the fuel system used to make the system capable of supporting the power you are making, whether it be larger injectors, larger fuel pump, rising rate fuel regulator and/or any combination of those (I suspect only the last is being used here)

It's all about balance.

bcphillips@peoplepc.com
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard