Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
shorty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am 18 years old and I just bought my first car a 1998 contour sport SE. I was not given a manual guide for the car so I cannot figure out how to take off the dashboard to take out the factory CD player. Usually dashboards will pop out this one does not want too. My friends who put in CD players are also confused. Please help me out here

S
S
Take off dashboard to remove factory cd player? You don't even need to pull any trim pieces, let alone the dashboard. You will need a pair of "removal tools" though. They slide in the small slots on either side of the unit and release the locking tabs.

blk.99svt
n.e.Ohio
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups...
S
shorty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What do you mean by removal tools? What works the best? Will it slide out? I just don't want to pull to hard and brake something.

S
S
On either side of the factory radio case there is a spring loaded tab that locks the radio in place when it gets slid into the hole. To release them, a u shaped wire form tool is inserted in the pair of holes on each end of the head unit face. The end of the wire tool is notched so that after being inserted and compressing the tabs it will pull the unit out. Parts stores may have these. I've had mine for several years now, and don't recall where I got them. You could probably make up a set from coat hanger wire with a little patience[sp?].

blk.99svt
n.e.Ohio
S
S
What state are you in? I noticed it says Norwalk on your sig. Norwalk Ohio?

blk.99svt
n.e.Ohio
S
shorty Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes I live in Norwalk, Ohio and I went to St. Paul High School. Thanks for the help.

F
F
No tool needed cut a coat hanger in 4 pieces (about 4in long) Stick them in the holes, thats what i did anyways : )

Nick F.
01 Focus ZX3 MTX
borla, eibach pro kit and dampers, dual guage pod (a/f and volt), jvc kd-sh99

96 Contour GL atx-zetec
Yes its a zetec, we were here before vtec, so we are not copying!
R
R
This set of "U" shaped "tools" are available at most any Wal-Mart for the low-low everyday price of something like $2.17.

Hints, only insert said tools until you hear or feel them kind of 'click' in place.

Then pull towards you. If this doesn't work, re-insert as above and put SLIGHT pressure on each 'tool' TOWARDS the front doors of the car whilst pulling toward you.

(i.e. right tool towards the passenter side door, left tool towards the driver's door.)

Pops that puppy right out.

tool tool tool tool, how many times can I put tool in print w/o being arrested???

Rob

REV VT
rfolden@excite.com
95 MM V6 MTX Deep Purple
Daily Driver 80 Mile Commute
World Wide CB Radio
B
B
Pepboys also sales these tools. If you havent purchased a stereo yet check out crutchfield.com they give you all of the tool, harnesses and instructions for free. You might also need a small file of some sort. In my '99 SE (not premium sound, or at least wasnt) there were 4 corners I had to file down. (actually, I just used a long bolt becuase I didnt have a file on hand.

BLUE-1999 Contour SE-Zetec-Clear Corner Lights-Nokya 3157 corner bulbs-Kenwood Exelon X815-2-12" Pioneers-4 6x8 3-way pioneers-Cuzo 9006's & 9005's-Glowing Ford Emblem On Decklid-Blue Interior lights-Alarm W/ Remote Starter-
Daytime Running Lights-CTA Intake-Winshiel Nozzle Lights-Audi A6 Side Marker Lights-Mesh Grilles (Good Ole Gutter Guard)-Just Added SVT Exaust
Thanks For The Idea CEG'ers !!!
B
B
I'm posting pics of my Kenwood and a link to the instruction sheets that Crutchfield sent me. Now you shouldnt have any problems at all. Look for a new post at the top of this forum.

BLUE-1999 Contour SE-Zetec-Clear Corner Lights-Nokya 3157 corner bulbs-Kenwood Exelon X815-2-12" Pioneers-4 6x8 3-way pioneers-Cuzo 9006's & 9005's-Glowing Ford Emblem On Decklid-Blue Interior lights-Alarm W/ Remote Starter-
Daytime Running Lights-CTA Intake-Winshiel Nozzle Lights-Audi A6 Side Marker Lights-Mesh Grilles (Good Ole Gutter Guard)-Just Added SVT Exaust
Thanks For The Idea CEG'ers !!!

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard