Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
S
I finally followed the FAQ and figured out how to change the plugs on my 98SE Sport.

It wasn't so much that I had a problem changing the plugs... It was just that I couldn't get the spark plug wires off the plugs. I bought a spark plug wire tool for $5 that made getting the wires off the back 3 cylinders possible.

I replaced what I swear were the plugs that came with the car when it rolled off the assembly line. I put in Motorcraft AGSF32FM plugs.

Before the plug change I was experiencing intermitent rough idle / miss when cold as well as a high end miss under load. It felt like the IMRC was stuck shut or something. I was beginning to suspect the fuel pump.

With the new plugs the car starts right up and is smooth as glass cold. On the other end of the powerband it pulls like a champ up top. I can feel the IMRC kick in again!

I can't believe how big an improvement I saw by just changing the plugs. The plugs I took out all had gaps upwards of .060". The worst one was nearing .070".

Shawn

'98 Contour SE Sport v6 ATX - totaled in August of '05 '95 Mustang GT Convertible - 5-Speed.
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Changed mine just after I bought it with 115K on it, origonal plugs, gapped up to .08. Deffinatly made a differance for me too!

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I did mine at 97,xxx they were ths stock ones to. Most of the gaps were .06-.07

"I guess of all my uncles, I liked Uncle Cave Man the best. We called him Uncle Cave Man because he lived in a cave and because sometimes he'd eat one of us. Later on we found out he was a bear" http://www.cardomain.com/ride/586498/1
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
DAMN!

Perform some Regular maintenance folks...

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I was going to change my plugs this summer too, but I have a couple questions. BTW I have a 98 SVT. I have about 45k miles on the car....do you think I should replace the wires too or just the plugs? Second, what is the desired gap for the SVT?

98' Contour SVT #607 of 6535 05' Mazda 6s Audio/Visual enthusiast because it's one of the many things I went through 4 years of hell for
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
I would let the wires go for another year, the stock plug wires seem to be rather sturdy. Think about changing them next summer.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I really don't mind replacing the wires it is just that Magnecor wires are sooo darn expensive and I don't really want to have to sell out $100+ for a set of them. Are there any other wires out there that are equally as good, but cheaper?

98' Contour SVT #607 of 6535 05' Mazda 6s Audio/Visual enthusiast because it's one of the many things I went through 4 years of hell for
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
There are 3 good plug wire choices (in order of preference):

1. Stock
2. Magnecore
3. Autolite Pro Fit series

These have been consistent performers & I cannot recall a post from any reputable CEGer having trouble with any of these three choices.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
What are the typical prices of those wires you listed?

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
DAMN!

Perform some Regular maintenance folks...

for real

i mean in the less than 40k miles i have owned the car i have changed the spark plugs twice

98.5 Black SE ATX S&B filter, SVT MAF, optimized SVT TB, mesh grille, removed orange reflectors, painted rear reflector, gutted pre-cats, optimized SVT LIM, 19lb injectors, resonator removed cant afford an svt but lookin for 1 in nc
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard