Page 1 of 2 1 2
#949528 05/07/04 01:44 PM
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I want to do something more to my engine but I'm not sure which way to go. I see port-matched UIM, optimized secondary butterflies, 19 lb injectors, port and polished heads, etc,etc,etc. I'm far from being a mechanic and all this stuff boggles the mind. Searching is just going to make things worse cuz I'll see even more stuff. I can't spend a ton of money since I have a daughter starting college in the fall. I'm not interested in MSDS headers cuz of the expense and install. So far I have:

Magnator 8.5 MM wires
Polished intake pipe
Tru Rev induction (KKM)
UDP
NGK platinum plugs (3406)
Optimized throttle body (Buckshot)
Free flow cat w/y-pipe (SP Motorsports)
Borla cat back exhaust
TH fix

I'm thinking the next step would be a chip from Street Flight (recommended by Stazi) but I want any mods I do done before I get the chip--or am I stuck now since I don't want to dump a grand into the ride? Would I be better off with an aluminum flywheel/clutch stuff? Whose got some answers? I'd like to know. Thanks for any responses.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
#949529 05/07/04 04:49 PM
V
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
V
What's your budget? I don't know if I'd do a chip right now because you could still get headers/gut precats, or get your heads P&P'ed.

Given the similar costs (minus install, of course) what about one of the following?

1) Headers - $660 (MSDS)
2) Suspension - $595 (BAT)
3) Big brakes - $550 (Baer GB)

Since you wanted something specifically for your engine, many people feel that you can't go wrong with headers.

*But* since you're not interested in headers, brakes or suspension might be the ticket. Or you could gut the precats+get a chip.

-Chuck Dienzo Black 98.5 E1 SVT #5022 of 6535 Born on March 16, 1998 "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
#949530 05/07/04 05:05 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hey, if you're too economically pinched to buy headers and then have them installed, wait until you get a quote to drop your front subframe and transaxle to put in a clutch and flywheel. Ouch. That big labo expense is part of why some CEGers say do everything in your tranny at one time, so get a limited slip differential also at the same time.

If your rig has high enough miles, gutting the precats (aka "mystery mod") is a good idea, because replacing those clogged precats/manifolds with non-clogged manifolds is basically the same labor time as putting in headers and thus can be expensive. Ouch again.

PS- Don't forget the MIL eliminators.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
#949531 05/08/04 02:40 AM
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
I have heard that some vendors for the Diablosport Predator will include one or two free re-tunes, which would be nice if you are planning on doing heavier mods later. Also a couple inexpensive mods that I hear will improve the overall "feel" would be a DMD and some (poly) bushings and mounts.

Oh yeah, if the car is a weekend warrior, you might also want to think about giving it a little laughing gas to help you down the strip.

Just my .02

1998 CSVT I will get around to getting an intake at some point......maybe even put those PS and ALT pulleys on.
#949532 05/08/04 03:38 AM
W
wa2tuff Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I have read so damn much about headers and gutted precats, my head is bouncing around in my brain. Now I'm totally confused. I guess I need to find a how-to on the cat thing. I was looking thru the archives and Terry Haines wants to cut the manifold apart. No way, not interested in that.

What is port and polish? How much would it cost and would it really be worth it? (I just did 12 hours at work and have to be back tomorrow at 8AM so don't yell at me. I'm tired.)

I've already got Eibachs, Bilsteins, an Aussie bar, Stazi's spherical links (see GB), and engine mount inserts so the suspension mods are done as far as I'm concerned. Clutch and flywheel will have to wait until I need a new clutch. I just knauberized it so I've cut down on wind resistance . I'd love a big brake kit but not at $600 just for the fronts. I'll probably do the GB with Patman for the minikit. That'll get me slotted rotors, s/s hoses, and new pads on all 4 corners. No more speed, just looks better. So I guess I'll look into gutted precats and that doesn't pan out, I'll just do the chip.

WA 2 TUFF SVT 2000 Tropic Green SVT Born 1/28/2000-1975 out of 2150-only 207 made. Some new pics
#949533 05/08/04 03:40 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
why not go with a lim and a uim swap. you can find an lim cheap. i got mine for $55 shipping included. but i havent installed them yet. it seems like a popular mod. im also going to have the manifolds cleaned out real good. than later on ill try to get me an svt uim if i can find one. an optimized svt throtlebody is good too.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
#949534 05/08/04 03:52 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by cvkillacontour98:
why not go with a lim and a uim swap. you can find an lim cheap. i got mine for $55 shipping included. but i havent installed them yet. it seems like a popular mod. im also going to have the manifolds cleaned out real good. than later on ill try to get me an svt uim if i can find one. an optimized svt throtlebody is good too.

He's got a 2000 SVT. Why would he want to do a UIM/LIM swap? He's already got the best manifold out there.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#949535 05/08/04 08:11 AM
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
I would say MSDS, you've heard my car, it makes a world of difference in performance and sound. Then Koni-Eibach suspention. Those are the "basic" upgrades. Then perhaps the port matching, bigger injectors...maybe, and a chip. I would make sure the exhaust on the headers was good first of all.

1999 Contour SE Duratec ATX My feet and the Stra�Ÿenbahn http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/ the coolest Topaz ever! To bad it's not mine
#949536 05/09/04 03:56 AM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
i read through it too fast. if you have a svt i woudl go with the headers and work my way to the back.

98 contour s.e. sport mtx http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/503352 all mods shown on page
#949537 05/10/04 06:10 PM
Q
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Q
Quote:

What is port and polish? How much would it cost and would it really be worth it? (I just did 12 hours at work and have to be back tomorrow at 8AM so don't yell at me. I'm tired.)

Porting and polishing, I am guessing your are talking about the heads?

porting- is when you widen "open" the intake and exhuast ports on your heads.

Polishing- Is after you have ported your heads you then polish "smooth out" the ports to decrease any type of resitance of flow.

I know it is worth while on any force fed car, but I am not sure of the dollar to HP ratio on a stock motor.

-Jeff-

1998 Black SVT Morette Twin headlight conversion Street flight turbo kit collecting dust! Rebuilding my 3.0L check it out
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard