Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
First thing in the morning my car sputters then it's fine. Then when I stomp on it to get on the freeway it seems like I'm missing about 15 hp. The car idles smooth and I've changed all the usual suspects, ie. filters, plugs, wires, 'jector cleaner, utb cleaning. Could it be the IMRC?
Are there any how-to's? Need help.

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
have you tried looking at the fuel pump or fuel filter?? just an idea....hope you get it fixed, i know how annoying things like that get!!!

~*~Bonnie~*~ Amazon Green 00 SVT Contour, #? of 2150, born 2/00 (bought 7-16-03)
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I changed the fuel and air filters. I was thinking of the fuel pump but some of the posts elude to symptoms that change with the amount of gas in the tank. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a spare if changing the pump doesn't fix the problem.

A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by brainiac:
...Then when I stomp on it to get on the freeway it seems like I'm missing about 15 hp. The car idles smooth ... Could it be the IMRC?

Yes! Symptoms sound typical for secondaries remaining closed. Three usual possibilities: 1) the gearing inside the IMRC box is jammed/broken, 2) the linkage between the two banks of secondaries (under throttle body) has fallen off (as mine did...), and 3) the cable running fron the IMRC box to the secondaries has snapped.

Regards, Art

2004 Velocity Red RX-8 *Racing Beat Intake and Exhaust *Grand Touring Package *Red/Black Leather *Fender Strakes *Rotary Accents *Xenon HID's *Bose
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
I found the IMRC and popped the top off. Who the heck thought this gadget was a good idea? Anyhow, gunned the engine and observed that indeed the motor inside worked. The other end of the cable wiggled but it seemed to be just enough to pull up the slack in the cable. The butterfly was not binding.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by brainiac:
I found the IMRC and popped the top off. Who the heck thought this gadget was a good idea? Anyhow, gunned the engine and observed that indeed the motor inside worked. The other end of the cable wiggled but it seemed to be just enough to pull up the slack in the cable. The butterfly was not binding.

Check the IMRC function when the engine is hot, i.e. when you notice the symptom. I've got an IMRC problem right now, but only when the engine has been running for 20 minutes or so. I plan to move the IMRC box to a cooler location (off the top of the freakin' engine) to solve the problem.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
The reason (most of the time) for IMRC failure on our cars is debris getting inside of the dc motor housing. This combined with high radiant heat from the exhaust manifold makes for a 20-25 HP loss when the IMRC fails. Sometimes the motor will partially work the butterflies open, but not all the way once failure has set in.
The cure is as simple as taking a can of electronics cleaner and spraying it inside of the dc motor when the engine is COLD. Please don't try it when the engine is hot! You WILL combust!! Most auto parts stores carry electronics cleaners. I don't mean ELECTRICAL PARTS CLEANER I mean electronics cleaner. Trust me, there is a difference in the two. And yes, heat does have alot to do with how swiftly the IMRC operates. There are ways to shield most of the heat out of the IMRC box. Do some searches for heatshielding on the web.
[url=http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=5170&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101]COOL IT thermal heatshielding material
[/url]
[image]http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/I20480.gif;pv9bf69080c6b237d5[/image]
This looks to be some pretty good stuff for general heatsheilding. It just depends on whether you are anal retentive about looks.

a D*CK SLAP IN THE FACE IS ALL I GET FOR STICKING MY NECK OUT FOR A FORD... PLEASE DELETE MY ACCOUNT!
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
at least your motor turns...popped the top off mine brought rpm's up to 4500 and nothing . and the inside was totally clean, no dirt, dust, etc.

that and the CEL for a IMRC being stuck closed kinda gave it away

Sigh anyone know a good wholesaler for IMRC's

D
CEG'er
CEG'er
D
i'm not throwin a CEL but the OBD II stats that my IMRC box is stuck closed. 90% of the time i drive, no matter how long, it runs great. about a month ago, it was dogging down after 15 mins all the time. not sure why its runnin better now. i just purchased a used IMRC box and i'm going to swap them tomarrow and see if i notice a difference. if i dont ill put my old one back on because this is not the problem. if somoene wants the used and workin IMRC box i have, let me know. ill post results tomarrow.

*I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumbass www.fast4doors.com
B
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Art Hazebrook if I was gay I'd kiss you. I found the linkage had fallen out. Life is good. Yesss! Is that held in by a cir clip or what? I have a temp fix with wire right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard