Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mozha Offline OP
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I have a problem with some minor to somewhat moderate front end vibration on my '96 Mystique at normal highway speed of about 100kmph(60mph), but when I accelerate to about 120kmph it is reduced, somewhat. I've had all new suspension and linkage, ball joints etc. in the last 5 months and a very recent alignment. When exiting from an offramp and with heavy braking even at lower speeds I feel this again in the brake pedal.I realize the suspension is stiff on my car as I feel every little bump but am I am still suspicious of this vibration. I bought the car 8 months ago with this problem. I suspect a rotor imbalance and/or warped rotor(s). Any opinions? Input will be greatly appreciated.

Mozha

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
This is from my Service Manual

Vibration, roughness, shimmy, and thump may be caused by excessive tire or wheel runout, worn or cupped tires, or wheel and tire imbalance. These conditions may also be caused by rough road surfaces. Drive the vehicle on different road surfaces to determine whether the surfaces are actually the cause of the condition.

Do not immediately suspect the tires or wheels when attempting to diagnose a vibration problem. Other sources of vibration include:

Loose or worn wheel bearings

Loose or worn suspension or steering components

Worn upper front suspension bearing and seal

Worn or damaged front wheel driveshaft joints

Front disc brake rotor or brake drum runout

Loose engine or transaxle supports

Engine-driven accessories

Start with checking that your tires have the right pressure in them.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Shootin from the hip but I owuld suggest:

Rotor(should only vibrate with brakes on though)
wheel bearings

BUT FIRST-check your tires-I had a broken belt once that did the same thing. Check you air pressure. Jack your tire until its about 1/4" off the ground and put your car in neutral (block the rear end). Then spin the tire in question. Starting with only a 1/4" space will allow you to easily see if the tire diameter is non-conforming. Also-you can rotate your front tires to the rear and compare. Check tire balancing as well.

T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
could also be a bent rim, rotors are cheap...you can check them with the wheel on. jack the car up and put a stand under it, then rest something against the inside of the rotor and spin the wheel to check for runout.

E
E
I'd bet $100 it's your rotors! Very common problem, especially if you/previous owner buy the cheap autozone $25 variety. They will warp in about a year.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard