Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Ok, at 60k i had to get my tranny rebuilt, at 71k i had to get my timing belt redone. im at 75k now and im now having ANOTHER problem! ok when im stopped then give it gas (not all the time, happens sometimes) it feels like the car wants to stall but doesnt, it like hesitates a bit then goes. today it hesitated a little more then usual, it felt like it jerks a few times as soon as i give it gas then goes. could it be the timing belt again? i know its like a shot in the blue but im just getting sick of this crap. i love the look of the car but it just gives me soo damn much problems... thanks..

'99 ČoňtôúŔ SE Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 AudioBahn AW1206T Flame Q Sub AudioBahn 1300HCQ Amp Blue LED Switches and HVAC
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
2 things is it a V6. Standard or auto?

1999 Mystique Sport 2nd owner bought it in Sept 03
120000km 4 door, leather, loaded pics on cardomain, coatsy
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
This is a long shot, but that feeling of wanting to stall may be caused by a clogged PCV valve. Thats what caused it on my car at least. They aren't expensive. My stealership put mine in for under $14.
BTW, @75k you might wanna consider new spark plugs and wires if you've still got the original ones in there. It might not solve all your probs but it would help with performance.
Oh....heres another long shot: Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but that jerking might perhaps be due to a bad fuel pump?

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
Originally posted by MysticFreak:

Oh....heres another long shot: Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but that jerking might perhaps be due to a bad fuel pump?

Do you notice if this happens when the fuel level is low, or at aroudn 1/2 a tank. That is when mine does this. I still need to get a new fuel pump...

-Greg

1999 Ford Contour Lx, 2.5L V6 ATX, 145,000 miles Pioneer DEH-P6400 H/U , Rockford Fosgate 351M 350 Watt Amp, Pioneer TS-W305DVC 12" Sub, Compustar 2WSS, Whelen CSP650 Strobe Pack with 6 strobes, Whelen Talon B/B LED Dash Light
D
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
D
its an ATX 4cyl. well right now its about half full. but i think its even doing it when its full... i think they also changed my plugs and wires when my timing belt went.

'99 ČoňtôúŔ SE Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 AudioBahn AW1206T Flame Q Sub AudioBahn 1300HCQ Amp Blue LED Switches and HVAC
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by DankBud42o:
... i think they also changed my plugs and wires when my timing belt went.

You happen to know what brand plugs/wires were installed?

These cars are very particular about that.

Fill him in Ztec guys!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
P
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
P
This was happening to my Contour. I cleaned the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) and that took care of the hesitation issue. I spoke with my cousin (a certified Ford Tech) and as soon as I described the issue, just like yours, he said it was the MAF 90%, plugs and wires 10%. Cleaning/replacing my MAF fixed that issue, but now I have an issue where my car will be on the verge of stalling for the first two minutes of cold starting. I am going to replace the plugs and wires this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

95 Ford Contour SE ATX:-( 84K V6 95 Mercury Mystique GS MTX 134K V6
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by PeruvianHighlander:
... now I have an issue where my car will be on the verge of stalling for the first two minutes of cold starting. I am going to replace the plugs and wires this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Before spending money, you might consider changing the air filter, & cleaning out your idle control valve - I assume there is an equivalent to the IAC on the 4 cylinder cars.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
... now I have an issue where my car will be on the verge of stalling for the first two minutes of cold starting. I am going to replace the plugs and wires this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Before spending money, you might consider changing the air filter, & cleaning out your idle control valve - I assume there is an equivalent to the IAC on the 4 cylinder cars.

And also change your PCV valve. It needs to be done anyhow....Haynes manual says every 30k and its not expensive. My car would run pretty frikkin wierd on cold starts and act like she wanted to stall, with rpms sometimes dipping as low as 200. Stealership told me that a clogged PCV valve would not cause those symptoms but as soon as the PCV valve was replaced the trouble was gone. I know more about my car than my stealership! Hahahahah! Funny.....and yet sad.

98 Mystique LS DOB 06/97
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by MysticFreak:
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

And also change your PCV valve. It needs to be done anyhow....Haynes manual says every 30k and its not expensive. My car would run pretty frikkin wierd on cold starts and act like she wanted to stall, with rpms sometimes dipping as low as 200. Stealership told me that a clogged PCV valve would not cause those symptoms but as soon as the PCV valve was replaced the trouble was gone. I know more about my car than my stealership! Hahahahah! Funny.....and yet sad.

A dealership will tell you anything, the service department makes their money! I agree on a few things. 1. Change the PCV, it's only a few bucks. 2. Replace the plugs with Bosch not Autolite (Autolite Are To cold). 3. DO NOT USE Regular Unleaded, use at the very least Plus. And 4. Dump a bottle of GUNK injector cleaner in a half tank of gas. Do all of that and your car should be tip top within a few days - as long as it's not timing.

One other note of interest. Every so often you should flush out your crankcase with GUNK engine flush before an oil change, this keeps the sludge build up out and old oil smell gone which can be detected by your various sensors. I've used GUNK engine flush for decades, it works! The injector cleaner does too.

Thomas

I Live My Life A Quarter Mile At A Time... During That 10 Seconds Or Less, I'm Free! 1998.5 SVT Contour aka: THE TOURMINATOR
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard