Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
The computer ecu is programmed to blow up your engine after you pass 164,341 miles. No exceptions! But really....

I guess thats sorta like me asking you how old your gonna live to be? You take care of your body and health, youll live longer. You take of your engine and maintnance, it will live longer.

Jim Hahn 1996 T-Red Contour SE Reborn 4/6/04 3.0L swap and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit 364 whp, 410 wtq @ 4,700 rpm
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
My Dad's '95 SE has over 245K. He replaced the water pump and that's it. As of last weekend it's doing something that makes me suspect the fuel pump is going. Ford's not all that great at engineering pumps it would seem.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by tiv:
there's a guy on the forums (parkedcar ? IIRC) who has more
than 250k on his duratec, without major problems.

Tiv

Not sure if thats a durtec, but his SVT has almost 150k. Ive put a pretty hard 60k on mine since i owned it, take care of it, it will take care of you.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
167k here...no problemos

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by AdrianCarrion:
My Dad's '95 SE has over 245K. He replaced the water pump and that's it. As of last weekend it's doing something that makes me suspect the fuel pump is going. Ford's not all that great at engineering pumps it would seem.

Why because the fuel pump is showing signs of weakness after ~250k miles.

BTW - Ford does not make it's own parts. They contract.

The original W/P had inferior plastic used in the impeller molding. Manufacturer's fault for cutting corners most likely. Ford did change manufacturers.

Jury's out on the new impeller (new being 1999) but so far it seems a lot more durable and having light weight plastic verses steel dragging on the valvetrain is a better design idea. (Provided of course it doesn't break... )

The Duratec is an exceptionally designed engine with a few flaws added after it was designed. (you can thank Ford for that! ) The only one that is critical is the oiling issue from lack of head drainage at high rpm levels.
Beware low oil level especially when combined with long right hand sweepers.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

'99 CSVT 152k miles '95 YJ www.VFXCustom.com PM me with anything you need done in Vinyl.
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
...Beware low oil level especially when combined with long right hand sweepers.

Damn! Thought the pickup was on the right side instead of the left.

Bad advice on my part at the top, then.

JaTo e-Tough Guy Missouri City, TX 99 Contour SVT #143/2760 00 Corvette Coupe
D
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
D
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
The computer ecu is programmed to blow up your engine after you pass 164,341 miles. No exceptions! But really....

I guess thats sorta like me asking you how old your gonna live to be? You take care of your body and health, youll live longer. You take of your engine and maintnance, it will live longer.

THis is a joke, right?

99' SVT #811 of 2760 Born on january, 12, 1999. "This may have been his only shot at number one, but he just sucks on so many levels that I couldnā??t even let him win a contest of suckiness."
N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
Originally posted by iamdickie:
it was taken care except for the blood stains, (think someone got blown away in it) the dealership cleaned it up good though, except for under the arm rest, yuck.

A guy got murdered here (Saint John NB CANADA) a few years ago in a Contour.

Pic from news story:

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nb_sjmurder20021217

He was up visiting from California. It turns out it was drug related.

Is this your car?

A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
If you're aware of the oiling issues

Is there some oiling issues that I am missing here? Please share your knowledge.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard