Print Thread
#940890 04/27/04 08:54 PM
G
GoSox Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I was driving to worcester today when my car because accelerating roughly. I payed no attention and continued on my way. Soon, the power to radio cut out and the power steering was non-existant. I pulled to the side of the road and waited for help. We discovered that it was the serpentine fan belt and we purchased a new one. It had snapped. Anyone have any clue on how to put one on?

Also, since i bought the car, while accelerating, the car made a clicking/whirring noise and without the fan belt it's gone. Is there any chance that was a warning sign?

1998 Black, Contour GL. 89,098 on the clock.
#940891 04/27/04 09:35 PM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
If its a Zetec (I'm guessing from the GL trim level) I'll leave the belt installation to someone more qualified. To answer your second question, yes, its possible that some pulley bearings are going bad. On the Duratec likely culprits are the idler pulley and tensioner, but it could also be the p/s pump or alternator. Again, I'm not sure how the Zetec is set up, but there are plenty of people here who will be able to help.

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#940892 04/27/04 09:39 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by GoSox:
I was driving to worcester today when my car because accelerating roughly. I payed no attention and continued on my way. Soon, the power to radio cut out and the power steering was non-existant. I pulled to the side of the road and waited for help. We discovered that it was the serpentine fan belt and we purchased a new one. It had snapped. Anyone have any clue on how to put one on?

Also, since i bought the car, while accelerating, the car made a clicking/whirring noise and without the fan belt it's gone. Is there any chance that was a warning sign?

First off you need a serpentine belt tensioner releaser. Secondly you must remove the passanger side front wheel and the splash guard. Looking up look for the tensioner, put the releaser into it and loosen it up. I forget what pulley is the tensioner, if you look on your strut housing top, part by the coolant tank sort of, you will see a diagram on where the things are.

You must reinstall it correctly or else you could have problems.

It takes two people, you need to hand the belt up to them from under the car and then they need to guide it along the pulleys up there and you pull and guide it along the ones closer to you.

When finished retighten the tensioner and your done.

Incase you dont have a tensioner releaser Autozone rents them out, to let ya know.

Clean off all pullies with a brush, remove dirt and junk, secondly make sure they are tight.

hope that helps

Last edited by HITMANinMI; 04/27/04 09:42 PM.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard