Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#939834 04/26/04 10:02 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have a 98 contour SE w/ 125K miles.
About 4 months ago while i was driving home from work my check engine light came on. The following week i took it to get it ran by the computer. The mechanic guy told me that one of the Cat converters was blocked. So he told me to get both of the converter replaced. I went ahead and replaced the whole thing four months latter. I replace all three cat to the piping and the two mufflers.
I can really tell the difference now. The car fells so much more smooth and the the engine feels more light it's just like when i first bouhgt it. I had this work done 2 days ago but the check engine light is still on. Is the light suppose to come off by itself or am I suppose to do somthing else to it? My question is how do I get the check engine light off.

#939835 04/26/04 10:28 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
You might have another problem, or and more likely the guy forgot to reset the codes. If you have a 10mm wrench disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 minutes. If you dont then go back to the guy and tell him what the deal is.

#939836 04/27/04 03:39 AM
L
L
i have a 1996 contour and my check engine light is on and it stays on. my tempurature gauge dosent work, could that cause it??? my mom has a 1996 contour too with the exact same problem.

#939837 04/27/04 03:47 AM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Welcome to CEG!

If you can get to an Auotzone (outside of Calif.) have them pull the codes. Get the numbers, don't just rely on their interpretation. Many things can cause the light to come on, with the codes in hand you will know what to fix and how serious it is.

The Temp guage problem is usually just the sending unit. It screws into the coolant distribution manifold but may be a bit hard to get to.

Engine?

Miles?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana
#939838 04/27/04 02:24 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
You two definately need to go to Autozone & write down the CEL (check engine light) codes that the parts guy reads from your cars. I can almost bet the AutoZone guy will tell you that you need O2 sensors - do not listen to him. MOST times it is not the O2s, but just a bit of maintenance that needs to be done.

Post the codes here and ask for advice on what you can do to trouble-shoot & resolve your CEL code issues. Many times it is a simple and inexpensive solution.

If you know how to work a wrench & a screwdriver, you can often do these things yourself in just an hour or two. Not confident enough in your ability? CEGers in your area may be willing to help.

CEG, it's a beautiful thing.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard