Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#939567 04/26/04 02:38 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C

Turned the fan on to front panel vents, cold air and the air only comes from the defroster by the window. Does this for all settings of the fan control (hot and cold air). I searched previous posts for a solution... found a post that recommended looking at a switch by the drivers right leg, unfortunately (fortunately) everything looks fine.

Can anyone suggest what else I look at to solve this problem. Or just in case, what it is I am looking for by the drivers right leg area.

as usual, thanks in advance.

Chris

#939568 04/27/04 04:19 AM
T
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by cstraw:

Turned the fan on to front panel vents, cold air and the air only comes from the defroster by the window. Does this for all settings of the fan control (hot and cold air). I searched previous posts for a solution... found a post that recommended looking at a switch by the drivers right leg, unfortunately (fortunately) everything looks fine.

Can anyone suggest what else I look at to solve this problem. Or just in case, what it is I am looking for by the drivers right leg area.

as usual, thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi:

When you change the switch from def to vent to floor - etc, there's a relay that moves a flipper within the heater that "Directs air traffic". Most of the time this is located in very hard to get at location - I haven't looked on my SVT yet. Sometimes there's a little cable linkage hooked to a little swing arm near the heater housing, it is possible that either the cable came off the swing arm or the cable broke (If it's cable driven). The bottom line, your reply is not "Directing air traffic". Look under your dash around the heater and turn your switch from one location to the other so the relay will move, this will help you locate the problem.

Thomas

I Live My Life A Quarter Mile At A Time... During That 10 Seconds Or Less, I'm Free! 1998.5 SVT Contour aka: THE TOURMINATOR
#939569 04/27/04 02:53 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C

I'll take another look tonight.
Thank you.

Chris

#939570 12/08/04 04:44 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Did you ever figure this out? My SVT is now doing the same thing, I can't see any unconnected wires or tubes though it happened when I was adding the pre 98 clock and had the radio pulled out.

So I maybe a wire or something came loose. Trouble is I can't find it if that is it.

There are two metal bulbs with tubes running from the switchs behind the center dash, and they look fine.

I checked the fuse, as I blew the dash lights fuse, but the heater fuse is fine. There is a heater relay in the interior fuse box, could that be bad?

#939571 12/08/04 04:53 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
USE FAQ's THAT's WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR If you can't find it there, then post. j/k

But seriously, check out the FAQ sometime, it's really helpful. Here is your answer.

If you don't see a loose tube on that thing, check to make sure the tubes aren't split anywhere. If the tube isn't loose and the tubes aren't split, then you have a leak off one of the intake manifold tubes. Good luck finding the leak on one of those. If that's your problem, you might as well take the car to a mechanic.

-Enjoy

Last edited by red99sesport; 12/08/04 04:57 PM.

#939572 12/08/04 05:34 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Doh! Mental error on my part, for some reason while I've used the FAQ in the past, I didn't think to look at it this time, I did a search of past posts. Thought it was a unique problem though now that the FAQ explains that defrost is the default setting it all makes sense.

Thanks and lesson ....(consulting FAQ first).....relearned?

I did check the tubes on that thing in the picture, so its not that. Perhaps the tube got cut or split when I was fishing around the back of the radio, or perhaps it came off the back of the switch. I was trying to "feel" around back there suspecting that, so I may have to remove that part of the dash.

#939573 12/09/04 05:52 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
looks like its not the tubes on the inside. I see a tube/wire that looks melted coming out of the firewall and to the back of the engine/IMRC. it looks more grey than the black tube going out, but unfortunately that may be it. I've yet to find a picture of just where it connects, haven't lifted the car to look from below to see if its visible.

Sounds like I may be driving with just the defroster vents working for a while.

#939574 12/11/04 05:55 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
could the tube being open near the engine cause the 1519 IMRC open CEL code?

#939575 12/13/04 04:55 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Well finally got the tube inside the engine bay fixed. Not to hard once I saw how it all works. Tried to patch the tube but then it broke off where it goes through the fire wall. Tried and tried to repair that but it didn't work.

Finally went to the auto parts store and purchased a 3 foot line of 3/16 outer diameter vacuum line, drilled a new hole to the passenger side of where the old tube went in, (which is behind all the HVAC stuff in the center dash) and just plugged each end into the existing rubber boots on each end.

Its definately easier reaching the grey tube in the engine compartment from the top.

I'm wondering if the tube sealed itself when it melted and broke and thus if the switch worked for a while with the pressure that was left in the system.

#939576 02/20/06 01:59 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Not to bring up an old post, but I am having the same problem. But I just got my car back from the dealer and they replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Could they not have hooked something up right putting it all back together? It was working before they fixed it. And if it was something that they did, would they have to replace the gaskets again? Thanks.

Alicia 96 Contour LX 2.5L V6 Duratec Stock of course! BAD ASS GIRLS DRIVE BAD ASS CARS!!! http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet_ride01
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard